• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Penny Drops.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Should you open an email advertising Hot Russian Chicks, boy are you going to be disappointed if you think you're going to be ordering a tasty savoury snack. No, it is not a Moscow version of KFC. Nothing like it.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm neither an East Debnr nor a railway enthusiast so this was totally lost on me. Apologies for my ignorance :$:)
My cousin has worked there for years, had she have not worked there, I would have pronounced it the same.

More recent, but I thought meme's were pronounced me-me not meem (tmi)

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
My cousin has worked there for years, had she have not worked there, I would have pronounced it the same.

More recent, but I thought meme's were pronounced me-me not meem (tmi)
Looking back to the original link, the penny does seem to have taken an awful long time to drop in this instance.

But moving on to your more pertinent point.
"Memes" are those slightly irritating things that appear on t'internet.
"Me Me's" are the terminally irritating boors that spend their entire self-obsessed trying to invent them.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
By pressing a couple of buttons you can get the petrol pump to vend a precise amount of fuel into the car. You can have it in money or litres. No more fiddling around trying to get exactly thirty quids worth for this enlightened motorist.

Apparently this is not a new innovation. Except to me.

Swanaldo

The word 'Turquoise' as in the stone/colour is simply French for 'Turkish'. I figured this out today, at age 44.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
When Americans say 'a loom min num' they're actually saying aluminium.

Swanaldo

I must have been in my mid 30s when I realised that Ouija (as in Ouija Board) is made from the French and German words for yes.

Swanaldo

I always assumed that 'Root Beer' was just American for 'Ginger Beer' (Ginger being a root!). Nope, they are completely different things.

IndoMike

When I was 5 or 6 Uncle George & Aunt Doll used to take us to Dawlish. They bought a kiddies fishing rod and got me fishing from the beach. I caught one within 5 minutes. The penny dropped years later that behind my back they had put a fish from the fish shop on the hook, cast it, and then told me I had caught one. They also convinced me that the tree in their back garden was an ice lolly tree, producing lollies from the tree after I had to close my eyes. Good to know they had so much fun taking the p+ss.:)

Swanaldo

The penny dropped years later that behind my back they had put a fish from the fish shop on the hook, cast it, and then told me I had caught one.
The fact that it was a portion of battered haddock didn't give the game away then?