The Penny Drops.

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
What seemingly-obvious things did you not cotton onto until later life?

For example:

It took me a long time to realise that the written word 'Ascertain' was the same word I had been hearing and using, pronounced 'assatain'.

I must have read two or three novels by David Mitchell before realising that he wasn't the guy from Peep Show.

For decades I thought the War of the Worlds soundtrack was by the guy from ELO. (Jeff Lynne/Jeff Wayne - two completely different people)

Didn't get the 'Deep Thought' gag* from Hitchhikers for a long time.

As a child, I thought that when you sent in, say, 10 Monster Munch packets to get a free badge, that they'd wash out the packets and use them again. :D

So, 'fess up fellow Exewebbers.

*no pun intended.

Billy The Fish

It was years before it clicked that the girls name pronounced Chi-vohn was actually spelt Siobhan.

Sidey's back

It wasn't until my late teens that I finally realised the Elgin Marbles were not small, round and made of glass. I did always wonder what the fuss was all about.

contrabombarde

When ordering a magazine online the girl on the phone asked if I just wanted 10 issues, I'll never know why but I thought she said "Do you just want tennis shoes?" The most bizzare conversation followed until the penny dropped.

Billy The Fish

If you notice your missus behaving more oddly than usual and you thoughtfully enquire if everything is all right and she answers "Yes", there's an outside chance that she may be being liberal with the truth.

Took me far too long before this particular penny dropped.

Terryhall

The ones that spring to mind for me are song lyrics that everyone in the world knew, but I was convinced said something else. Most prominently Bohemian Rhapsody, the line goes "Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me".

Well into my mid twenties, I was convinced he was singing "Hit me with a window".

grecIAN Harris

The ones that spring to mind for me are song lyrics that everyone in the world knew, but I was convinced said something else. Most prominently Bohemian Rhapsody, the line goes "Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me".

Well into my mid twenties, I was convinced he was singing "Hit me with a window".
On that same note, to realise it was Brian May playing guitar at the end rather than Freddie Mercury singing da da da dum. I was always convinced it was a voice rather than an instrument.

StroudGrecian

Never being able to remember which side the car's filler cap was on, it was only last year that my son pointed out the little arrow on everyone's fuel gauge that tells you.

contrabombarde

Crikey, some on here are razor sharp...well spotted Spoonz but it did take a few minutes for the penny to drop.

Originally Posted by contrabombarde.
When ordering a magazine online the girl on the phone asked...

Not realising until now that contrabombarde is a modem :D

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Well-known Exeweb poster
A TV advert for Fairy Liquid containing a very annoying jingle, the words of which went "Hands that JUDICIOUS can feel soft as your face, with mild green Fairy Liquid", or so I thought for surprising number of years ! Doh ! (facepalm)