• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Pace of change quickens

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't see the logic in what you are saying Pete.

Christie picked up 6 different awards at the end of season do.

Unless you're assuming that coaching has had no impact on his progress I think it suggests Mel Gwynett hasn't been doing too bad of a job.

It was also Mel who helped Paul Jones break down and rebuild his technique during his first stint with us.
Jones then won Player of the Year and ended up playing for teams higher up the leagues.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

I don't see the logic in what you are saying Pete.
No-one has ever thought - let alone written - that in the history of Exeweb ever.

PeteUSA

I don't see the logic in what you are saying Pete. Christy picked up 6 different awards at the end of season do.

Unless you're assuming that coaching has had no impact on his progress I think it suggests Mel Gwynett hasn't been doing too bad of a job.

It was also Mel who helped Paul Jones break down and rebuild his technique during his first stint with us. Jones then won Player of the Year and ended up playing for teams higher up the leagues.
All good points Mike, I understand your viewpoint. Nearly every club in the land seems to have a dedicated GK coach, particularly in the higher leagues. I subscribe to that old saying: A good goalkeeper is born, not made. I firmly believe that to be true. Quite frankly I dont think Pym is any better now than he was when he got a first team call-up. I think throughout the seasons that he's played through his mistakes until he's made the same mistakes less and less. Last season he was almost faultless, and to me the only major fault he has left is his habit of coming off his line towards a forward feet first. He should be going down at a players feet by spreading his entire body across a forwards path not just the width of his shins. The latter means an open invitation for an opportunist to slot the ball past him with ease. Hes persistantly come off his line in that way, which tells me that Gwinnett isn't correcting him. That suggests to me that Gwinnett never had that aspect of his game buttoned up either. Either way, Pym is well beyond the point where he needs to be told what to do anymore. On his own he'll do just fine, as Jonah did later in his career.

tavyred

muppetdodger

All good points Mike, I understand your viewpoint. Nearly every club in the land seems to have a dedicated GK coach, particularly in the higher leagues. I subscribe to that old saying: A good goalkeeper is born, not made. I firmly believe that to be true. Quite frankly I dont think Pym is any better now than he was when he got a first team call-up. I think throughout the seasons that he's played through his mistakes until he's made the same mistakes less and less. Last season he was almost faultless, and to me the only major fault he has left is his habit of coming off his line towards a forward feet first. He should be going down at a players feet by spreading his entire body across a forwards path not just the width of his shins. The latter means an open invitation for an opportunist to slot the ball past him with ease. Hes persistantly come off his line in that way, which tells me that Gwinnett isn't correcting him. That suggests to me that Gwinnett never had that aspect of his game buttoned up either. Either way, Pym is well beyond the point where he needs to be told what to do anymore. On his own he'll do just fine, as Jonah did later in his career.
Pym is way better now than he was when he first broke the first team. Utter rubbish to say he isn't

tonykellowfan

It would be stupid to lose someone of the ability of Mel Gwynett.

PeteUSA

Pym is way better now than he was when he first broke the first team. Utter rubbish to say he
isn't
Read what I said again; at least up to the point where I said 'Last season he was almost faultless'. It will come out as utter rubbish if you're going to pick a chunk right out of the middle!

PeteUSA

It would be stupid to lose someone of the ability of Mel Gwynett.
I dont suppose theres any doubting Gwinnetts credentials, although I dont know how the level of his ability is a provable fact. Back to my point though; IMHO I dont think Pym needs a full-time dedicated coach anymore.

muppetdodger

Doesn't Brunty have skills in this regard?
Would be very surprised if he isn't involved in this in some way, but they have to advertise and interview for the post.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would be very surprised if he isn't involved in this in some way, but they have to advertise and interview for the post.
Hmmm a player/strength and conditioning coach? Interesting. I do note that they would like (desireable) someone with a MSc which surely would cost, unless combined with another role ........?