• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Establishment of an Exeweb Redevelopment 'Think Tank'

Parklife

The new stadium effect!!! Don't make me laugh. That would last for one maybe two seasons. Travelling fans don't like concrete monstrosities and only really go there a couple of times.
Isn't this what has happened at Colchester?

Last edited:

Boyo

The cost of running the stadium is the primary reason that Darlo are so far up the creek. Indeed it's so big that large parts of it have never been used.

It would be an anchor around our necks and I'd give us 5 years before we follow Darlo up that proverbial creek.

Crazy idea.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
The cost of running the stadium is the primary reason that Darlo are so far up the creek. Indeed it's so big that large parts of it have never been used.

It would be an anchor around our necks and I'd give us 5 years before we follow Darlo up that proverbial creek.

Crazy idea.
We wouldn't be paying the price that Darlo paid for it! And there would be much greater income generating capacity built in!

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Again, you don't answer the point raised but make some non sequitur. What's wrong with my logic, explain to me?

On the second point, are you suggesting that a greenfield site would be free?
The lease of St. James' Park has 9 years left to run. When you sell on any leasehold business, the remaining portion of the lease has a value. Drivers Jonas asked ECC for the FULL sale value of the ground. My suggestion of £6M is therefore realistic.

Green field sites are not necessarily free, but certainly cheaper. If you could combine the project with an enabling deal then.....

grecianstew

RW, when you started posting on this subject i lost concentration and didn't really understand them. I assumed this was because you were far more inteligent than me and your wisdom was lost on the likes of I. Your recent posts however have made me feel much better about myself for it is now plain to see you are barking mad. I thank you for restoring my self esteem!

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Moving out of ECC boundaries is a mental idea and would be completely contradictory to the football in the community club we're meant to be.

Not only that, we'd end up with a souless sh*thole, one of the many things I HATE about modern football.

I really hope that if we did move we wouldnt go the all seater route - especially as it looks like within the next decade terracing will be back in the EPL (you watch how pressure will grow when Scotland get it bang on) We must retain a terrace, no matter what.

Last edited:

Fareham Grecian

RW, when you started posting on this subject i lost concentration and didn't really understand them. I assumed this was because you were far more inteligent than me and your wisdom was lost on the likes of I. Your recent posts however have made me feel much better about myself for it is now plain to see you are barking mad. I thank you for restoring my self esteem!
Thread closed.

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
Green field sites are not necessarily free, but certainly cheaper. If you could combine the project with an enabling deal then.....
Provided you get planning permission from East Devon Council you mean. Like that's ever going to happen.....

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Its been a while since being at Darlington. I can't remember much that would recommend it to me. Like Colchester I'm quite happy not to be going back.

grecianred

The lease of St. James' Park has 9 years left to run. When you sell on any leasehold business, the remaining portion of the lease has a value. Drivers Jonas asked ECC for the FULL sale value of the ground. My suggestion of £6M is therefore realistic.

A greenfield site obviously wouldn't have remediation and redevelopment costs it would however have potentially significant "opening up" cost associated with providing infrastructure and servicing etc. As to what a greenfield site would cost its all dependent on landowner expectations and likely alternative use value. That's to say a field in agricultural use with little or no prospect of residential devt in the future could possibly be acquired for little more than agricultural land value plus a reasonable incentive to the landowner (but still probably comfortably less than 100k per hectare).

Conversely by definition the kind of site generally suited to a stadium is likely in most cases to have some scope for more lucrative land value generating uses. Land values beyond the city boundaries aren't in the main gonna be markedly lower than that within it. With this in mind finding a site which isn't already stitched up in option agreements to a volume housebuilder or is owned by a landowner with unrealistic expectations is a big barrier to a new build...

Like I've said before I don't think it's a total non-starter but it would need a hell of a lot of groundwork (excuse the pun) being put in!