• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Establishment of an Exeweb Redevelopment 'Think Tank'

Herschel

RIP Stanno, City Legend never to be forgotten
19,000 square metres, including the jungle path area between the OG and BB but not including the Fountain Centre car park or the road hammerhead at the end of Stadium Way
Thanks Ant.

So, 1.9Ha, plus a little bit; so perhaps 2.2Ha, of which around 50-65% would probably be developable.

RW - there isn't a cat in hells chance that the land is worth £7.5m to a developer.

I'd suggest it would be worth somewhere between £500,000 and £1m per acre, but likely to be towards the lower end; so between £2.4m and £4.8m in total, but probably around £3.5m.

H

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
So, 1.9Ha, plus a little bit; so perhaps 2.2Ha, of which around 50-65% would probably be developable.

RW - there isn't a cat in hells chance that the land is worth £7.5m to a developer.

I'd suggest it would be worth somewhere between £500,000 and £1m per acre, but likely to be towards the lower end; so between £2.4m and £4.8m in total, but probably around £3.5m.

H
Hersch, I've just looked again at the full copy of the Drivers Jonas Report. For residential use the Club obtained a valuation at £7.5M for the land owned by the City Council. This therefore excludes the St. James Centre and the Fountains Centre plus car park.

Drivers Jonas were non commital in giving a surrender value of the lease so as not to prejudice any actual negotiations between the Club and the Council. However it was certainly hinted in some of the cost examples given that the full sale value might be obtained and applied to some projects.

Incidentally, we are now finally approaching the level of debate that I was trying to engender in the title thread.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hersch, I've just looked again at the full copy of the Drivers Jonas Report.
Do you have your own copy? I ask this because at the time the report was released we were only allowed to see an abridged version unless we went to the club to see the full version that wasn't allowed to be taken away.

If you have a full version in your possession still, especially as you're no longer a BOSser, if it's in electronic form any chance of posting it up here? I assume the full version must now be deemed available to all to see and peruse at their leisure anywhere they like?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The original announcement on the club board plus summary of the report

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~1227384,00.html

Given that time has moved on, I would agree Ant that the full report should be made available to us.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do you have your own copy? I ask this because at the time the report was released we were only allowed to see an abridged version unless we went to the club to see the full version that wasn't allowed to be taken away.

If you have a full version in your possession still, especially as you're no longer a BOSser, if it's in electronic form any chance of posting it up here? I assume the full version must now be deemed available to all to see and peruse at their leisure anywhere they like?
Yes, I have the full 145 page hard copy. It was not even made available to the 6 members of our working group in electronic form because of the sensitivity of material relating to the rugby club. I haven't the time to plough through all the detail to see if much of it is still relevant, but I assume that most of it is.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
The original announcement on the club board plus summary of the report

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~1227384,00.html

Given that time has moved on, I would agree Ant that the full report should be made available to us.
It's interesting to note that the statement refers to the redevelopment of St. James' Park being carried out by phased development. It was always my contention that the ground should be redeveloped in 4 self financing phases. Only when each one was complete and suitably financed would we move onto the next phase.

The dilly dallying of the last 4 years has led to abandonment of that principle, and , if we ever carry out the project, it will now all be done in one phase.

The value of carrying out the development in 4 phases is that (as well as making certain that we would never overspend) we could have assessed the current demand level for student accommodation as the project progressed.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
We wouldn't be paying the price that Darlo paid for it! And there would be much greater income generating capacity built in!
RW,

Do you have any idea of the costs involved in running and maintaining a venue as unwieldy as the Darlo Arena?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
RW,

Do you have any idea of the costs involved in running and maintaining a venue as unwieldy as the Darlo Arena?
Yes, but you have to look at both sides of the coin, i.e. the income generating capacity to be offset against it.

I am again looking at the full copy of the Drivers Jonas report in which the Darlington Arena was given as a cost/ return example.

The stadium was completed in August 2003 with a capacity of 27,500 and at a cost of £27M.

This type of stadium allows for a major naming rights deal. The concourses are home to two bars, a restaurant for supporters, medium capacity banqueting facilities, 30 executive boxes etc. It is also big enough to host musical events.

The report comments that the build quality is impressive, even if the seating is a little restrictive.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
If you think the Darlo Arena is financially viable you're utterly delusional and I'm glad you're absolutely nowhere near the regeneration project.

Here's a hint: for a club our size (and, incidentally, for a club Darlo's size) the income generating capacity < ongoing running costs. We're not Brighton, you know?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
If you think the Darlo Arena is financially viable you're utterly delusional and I'm glad you're absolutely nowhere near the regeneration project.

Here's a hint: for a club our size (and, incidentally, for a club Darlo's size) the income generating capacity < ongoing running costs. We're not Brighton, you know?
As a Darlington supporter posted re: their latest entry into Administration (confirmed yesterday):

119 years at Feethams, 0 administrations.

9 years at The Arena, 3 administrations.