• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The 20 fiercest rivalries in English football

Rog H K

My God listen to you all! Have you all gone bloody mental??

They hate us as much as we do them, they just try and hide it more because they're like the big brother who puts on a facade about how much bigger and stronger than his brother he is but behind it all he's scared of his brother kicking the life out of him!! One person always pretends they don't care but in reality they do

There is a genuine dislike between Exonians and Plymouthians that stretches far beyond football, and I would suggest that rivalry and bitterness will only grow as Exeter continues to prosper while Plymouth sinks

Argyle aren't a big club at all. For a city of nearly 300,000, average gates of 6k are completely rubbish and they know it
I know a few Argyle fans and they detest us from top to bottom. Who started this silly myth they like us? I'm sure the 100s of Police that are down at home park on a derby day are there to stop a crush of friendly supporters coming over on mass to shake our hands, pat us on the back and wish us all the best!

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
****-poor article from a ****-poor paper.

anyone surprised?

****-poor article from a ****-poor paper.

anyone surprised?
I agree. City-Argyle is surely in the top 5 rivalries in the country.

angelic upstart

I agree. City-Argyle is surely in the top 5 rivalries in the country.
Can you provide some reasons why you think this.

I'll provide some why they are not.
It's not a two club city rivalry.
One side is noticeably bigger than the other.
There's no real reason for the rivalry
It isn't very local
There are more local teams to have rivalry with
Devon, in general, has no rivalry with anything.

It isn't very local
Can't disagree with this. The football teams rarely meet, the outcome often effects nothing and the City's are polar opposites. Janners rarely visit Exeter, many have never been. The economies are different, one white collar the other blue collar. The odd punch up does not make a rivalry, punch ups will happen anytime for any reason. The game is never sold out, games aren't televised, the media has no interest because the rivalry doesn't sell papers, make careers or lose managers their jobs. The people, the history, the City's are too different for the rivalry to be anything other than a 90 minute poorly played, poorly watched kick about twice a season, one season every 8. Great rivalries are grown out of memorable events, grown when there is something major to gain or lose, witnessed and in the memory of thousands, grown from tales of daring do, where books are written and films made.... History tells us there is no bitter rivalry because nothing newsworthy has ever happened to make it anything other than 2 crap teams playing crap football.

les.gtfc

It isn't very local
Replace Devon with Lincolnshire and that could have been written about us v Lincoln, but we got in there somehow.

Rog H K

The game is never sold out now because the rivalry has been so intense that the trouble at these games has warranted excessive policing and inflated ticket prices to pay for this policing and people don't want to be among the wrong people in the wrong place in these games. People have been frightened off. You're not going to take the family to this game. In The last TV game in the FA Cup at home park the nutural commentator stated " This Derby is right up with the best of them, these clubs really don't like each other" Anyone thinking anything else is kidding themselves.

angelic upstart

So no one has come up with any reason why, other than its ours.

So I'll ask fans that have been to other big derby games and ask your opinion on how the Devon derby rates.

Antony Moxey

So no one has come up with any reason why, other than its ours.

So I'll ask fans that have been to other big derby games and ask your opinion on how the Devon derby rates.
You could also ask ours and Plymouth's fans their opinions on other teams' derbies. Play down ours as much as you like, but I'd suggest it's a fact that most people couldn't give a monkeys about other peoples' derbies and view none of them as important as their own.

motorservices

The game is never sold out now because the rivalry has been so intense that the trouble at these games has warranted excessive policing and inflated ticket prices to pay for this policing and people don't want to be among the wrong people in the wrong place in these games. People have been frightened off. You're not going to take the family to this game. In The last TV game in the FA Cup at home park the nutural commentator stated " This Derby is right up with the best of them, these clubs really don't like each other" Anyone thinking anything else is kidding themselves.
Prob the truest words put on exeweb over the last few days

for our fanbase size and there fan base size the rivalry is massive, anyone that claims it isnt is purely deluded, in aug when they beat us there were hundreds of them outside wanting to rub us up the wrong way, or did no one see the mass of them waiting for the coaches to leave...................