• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The 20 fiercest rivalries in English football

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/picturegalleries/11197636/The-20-fiercest-rivalries-in-English-football-by-Jonathan-Liew.html

He's got Hereford United v Shrewsbury Town & Chester v Wrexham in there, but no City vs Argyle!! Poor show dear boy.

angelic upstart

Don't disagree with not having us Vs Argyle in there. It's a relatively one sided hatred, one team is noticeably larger than the other. It's the Leeds Manchester United of the fourth division.

motorservices

Don't disagree with not having us Vs Argyle in there. It's a relatively one sided hatred, one team is noticeably larger than the other. It's the Leeds Manchester United of the fourth division.

Ive heard it said that if we had the same size crowds as man u then ours with argyle would be the biggest in the league, i think because we have low crowds that effects it

angelic upstart

No it wouldn't, we can't even sell our ticket allocation at their place. Plymouth are twice the size of us, we have small man syndrome.

I don't like writing that, but its true.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
No it wouldn't, we can't even sell our ticket allocation at their place.
That's because most don't actually care about them. If it's a "one sided hatred" it's certainly not from us.

Last edited:

motorservices

No it wouldn't, we can't even sell our ticket allocation at their place. Plymouth are twice the size of us, we have small man syndrome.

I don't like writing that, but its true.
have another read of what i posted, it clearly says IF WE HAD MAN U SIZE CROWDS, why do we fail to sell our allocation down there??? ive been everytime we play them, why do other people give the 90 mile round trip a miss? id hazard a guess it was the JPT game that killed the support off, up until then we always use to take 1200+ down there for league games

I dont think we have little man syndrome, i think we have become such a friendly club/fan base we struggle when they have a big turn out and intimidate us

Avening Posse

That's because most don't actually care about them. If it's a one sided hatred it's certainly not from us.
Wouldn't say that GOG, it may have diluted over time, but pretty much everybody I know of my generation love to hate them

angelic upstart

That's because most don't actually care about them. If it's a "one sided hatred" it's certainly not from us.
Merely backs up that it shouldn't be on a fiercest rivalries list :)

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Merely backs up that it shouldn't be on a fiercest rivalries list :)
And I agree with you. I'm just not sure the rivalry itself is one sided on our behalf, which is what I think you are implying(?).

angelic upstart

we struggle when they have a big turn out
I like to think I am regular as clockwork, sometimes this is true for everyone.