• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The 20 fiercest rivalries in English football

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm guessing if it was written a few years ago it might have scraped in there but after fairly regular meetings in the last few years it's fair to say that apathy has taken over. Argyle being ****e has probably lessened the hatred as its no longer a great achievement to beat them.

Hereford and Shrewsbury can't have played each other often of late and Chester have only recently started playing Wrexham again.

angelic upstart

And I agree with you. I'm just not sure the rivalry itself is one sided on our behalf, which is what I think you are implying(?).
I certainly think we dislike them, more than they dislike us. Plymouth want a bigger rival but no one else wants them

edindevon

I'd like to have seen Billingham Town and Billingham Synthonia from the Northern League Division 1 on that list. They really hate each other.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I certainly think we dislike them, more than they dislike us. Plymouth want a bigger rival but no one else wants them
I suppose it just differs from person to person really.

motorservices

really, id say they hate us far more than we do them, look at the crowd they pull when we are in town, last season they had 5k more home fans than they did for the game before and the one after us

les.gtfc

I see we get a mention in there.

Avening Posse

I see we get a mention in there.
I always thought your derby matches were Hull or Scunny Les, is Lincoln relatively new or has it always been a big rivalry ?

angelic upstart

I suppose it just differs from person to person really.
Of course it does. But I love generalising, me.

les.gtfc

To be honest it's only really been the last 10 years or so. The Scunny rivalry is probably bigger but apart from The FA Cup last season we haven't played them in a meaningful game for about 10 years. The Hull rivalry will always be there but we've only ever played them a handful of times in my time supporting Grimsby. We were always above all 3 when I was younger in the 80's and 90's and at that time the biggest 3 rivals for me were the two Sheffield teams and Barnsley who we seemed to play almost every season.

Last edited:

supernova

My God listen to you all! Have you all gone bloody mental??

They hate us as much as we do them, they just try and hide it more because they're like the big brother who puts on a facade about how much bigger and stronger than his brother he is but behind it all he's scared of his brother kicking the life out of him!! One person always pretends they don't care but in reality they do

There is a genuine dislike between Exonians and Plymouthians that stretches far beyond football, and I would suggest that rivalry and bitterness will only grow as Exeter continues to prosper while Plymouth sinks

Argyle aren't a big club at all. For a city of nearly 300,000, average gates of 6k are completely rubbish and they know it

Last edited: