• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for wembley

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks Mike. I'm assuming PT wasnt aware of Reids right wing skills? Moving him out there would have solved a problem and he could have forged a partnership with Stockley. You live and learn I s'pose.
Could have been interesting but judging by Reuben's comments he'd want to be part of three up front. Also you have to factor in that he's talking about 2009 when he may have had a bit more pace.

PeteUSA

Could have been interesting but judging by Reuben's comments he'd want to be part of three up front. Also you have to factor in that he's talking about 2009 when he may have had a bit more pace.
Quite true, Mike. He would have been no Nelson Stiffle or Eric Welsh, thats for sure.

Steve Moran3

Tisdale normally tries to pick a team to do a job in the big games. Against Lincoln in the second leg I think Simpson was picked as much to help defend set pieces and the general aerial bombardment we were expecting as an attacking force. Coventry play a completely different game so I predict he’ll pick a team to try to retain possession which may well mean James for Simpson. When we beat them in the league we had 5 in midfield so reckon he’ll do the same. If he doesn’t and plays 2 up top I think we need more mobility than Simpson offers - although no criticism of him - he worked hard and did some effective stuff v Lincoln that went a bit unheralded.

IndoMike

Tisdale normally tries to pick a team to do a job in the big games. Against Lincoln in the second leg I think Simpson was picked as much to help defend set pieces and the general aerial bombardment we were expecting as an attacking force. Coventry play a completely different game so I predict he’ll pick a team to try to retain possession which may well mean James for Simpson. When we beat them in the league we had 5 in midfield so reckon he’ll do the same. If he doesn’t and plays 2 up top I think we need more mobility than Simpson offers - although no criticism of him - he worked hard and did some effective stuff v Lincoln that went a bit unheralded.
I think you're summary is pretty good. We will need legs and mobility. Coventry is apparently not a hoof ball team and they're young and fast. I can see them racing through our midfield if we're not careful, and playing Tilson, James and Simpson in the same team would be suicide.
My team would be -

Pym
Sweeney
Storey
JMT
Moxey
TAH (in front of defense)
Wilson
Taylor
Harley
Boateng
Stockley.

it won't happen.

Last edited:

Well-known Exeweb poster
Reids right wing skills? Moving him out there would have solved a problem and he could have forged a partnership with Stockley. You live and learn I s'pose.
didnt have enuf pace,imo he was turning into trad holding centre forward akinfenwa ish if u like , atm you could play reid where u liked but he would be a center forward playing there NOTHING else , which is sort of why he didn't totally gel when tis tried him with stockley.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would only make one change from Thursday's team and that is Simpson.He did his job ,but we need something different against Coventry. Coventry will rip apart a plodding team (Like they did at Notts).We need a quick player in there so it will be 1 of Jay,Wilson,McAlinden or Edwards.The final decision will depend on which one was the big match attitude.Who will cope with the pressure of a Wembley final from those 4?

Last edited:

STURTZ

Against a more footballing side I'd play McAlinden.

Our wing play is going to come from our wing backs and on the wider pitch this is going to make it a tough afternoon for Sweeny and Moxey/Woodman. Hopefully MacAindens mobility will make him able to get across the forward line and help out on either wing.

Ash

Depending on how fit he is, I'd plump for Jones in goal. Its a tough call, but I think his mindset would adapt more to the big Wembley stage. He didnt let playing in front of 65,000 at Old Trafford get to him; and an admirable game he had. Last years final v Blackpool was a general nightmare, and nobody played that well. I did however think that Pym might have done better on their goal that went past him from a diagonal shot from the right. It was remarkably similar to Lincolns goal on thursday where indecision and poor positioning were apparent. Pym is pretty much the finished product on every aspect, and I'm certain he's attracting scouts from bigger clubs. His one on one weakness still prevails IMHO.
What is going on?????
Equal strengths? Have you seen them both kick? And that's just for starters.

PeteUSA

What is going on?????Equal strengths? Have you seen them both kick? And that's just for starters.
I dont see where I mentioned "equal strengths" anywhere in my post. And you left it late to look for an argument I fancy? I posted the above two days ago!

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
We have the unusual luxury of having two good keepers with equal strengths;
I dont see where I mentioned "equal strengths" anywhere in my post. And you left it late to look for an argument I fancy? I posted the above two days ago!
He may have used the wrong quote but you certainly did say it , and possibly Ash only comes onto these boards occasionally and only just seen this thread ?

Is there now a time limit on how long people have for a retort to a post ?