• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Ipswich

hienzeECFC

Me too in general, but the League Cup never really had the pedigree of the FA Cup.
Money is such a driver of big football these days that sadly big teams are going to field squad players in the FA Cup whatever fans of smaller Clubs think. We should stand up and field the first team for FA Cup games against non-league teams, but I'm not completely averse to blooding young players and given a few first team subs a run-out in Copacabana Cup games.

Ipswich are in need of a win (a bit like West Brom in the FAC last year) and it sounds like they will field a strong side.
I disagree - I prefer the big teams playing weakened sides in the early FA cup rounds. The more they underestimate smaller teams, the more replays at big grounds/lincoln style cup runs.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
That would apply for the FA Cup, but for the league cup the split in gate receipts for away teams is far less generous - FA cup is around the 55/45 split and league cup is around the 80/20 mark if that.

Happy to be corrected as this is from memory.
Clubs get 45% each in this competition.
Rule 20.1.1 45
https://www.efl.com/carabao-cup/about-the-carabao-cup/carabao-cup-rules--regulations/

budegrecian

Yup. Over 30's eh? Dead wood and past their sell by. Get rid of then we can chuck all the zimmer frames out with them.
*sigh*
Behave please. Nobody is saying they are dead wood or past their sell by date. Rather, the over 30's we currently have in the side are crucial to us achieving our ambitions this season. It's just that a mid week cup game, such as this, enables some of the squad players to get a game & enables some of those over 30's to manage their recovery & fitness in a spell where we have two games a week. Like it or not, as players get older they need more recovery time (it's not necessarily about fitness), Lee Holmes is a particular example of this.

suffolklad

Big hint by Paul Hurst tonight on Anglia TV for their team. That haven't won yet and no matter what the competition the first win is really important Seems he might field a full strength team.

iscalad

Big hint by Paul Hurst tonight on Anglia TV for their team. That haven't won yet and no matter what the competition the first win is really important Seems he might field a full strength team.
Sounds like Alan Pardew and West Brom last season. :)

PeteUSA

Me too in general, but the League Cup never really had the pedigree of the FA Cup.
It did in 1960-61 when we played an absolutely full strength Man U team in the first round. A packed house, and we got a creditable 1-1 draw. Matt Busby put out the same team as had played the previous weekend, Harry Gregg, Dennis Viollet, the lot.

iscalad

It did in 1960-61 when we played an absolutely full strength Man U team in the first round. A packed house, and we got a creditable 1-1 draw. Matt Busby put out the same team as had played the previous weekend, Harry Gregg, Dennis Viollet, the lot.
Not forgetting this epic. Absolutely the coldest I have ever been at a football match.

https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1234

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not forgetting this epic. Absolutely the coldest I have ever been at a football match.

Never realised Kevin Sheedy had begun his career at Liverpool.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

If memory serves me right it was two legs in those days and we lost away at Anfield 5-0.

PeteUSA

If memory serves me right it was two legs in those days and we lost away at Anfield 5-0.
Correct SB. We had already lost 0-5 at Anfield before the home debacle. Only 11,000 showed up to see us there, so they weren't bothered