• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Team for Ipswich

LDNGrecian

^ Wot Spoonz says, echoed by Al20000k and Sexton !

With a groin strain Laws will be out, maybe Fortune who needed treatment on Saturday, so there will be one or two spots for the likes of Sparkes on the bench. But we should go as strong as possible, in order to maintain the momentum. History also tells us that in 1989-90 when we won the fourth division title, we had a good long run in the League Cup, followed by a run in the FA Cup to a third round replay. Let's bleddy well go for it, all our League 2 opponents are facing exactly the same schedule as we are over the forthcoming weeks.

Getting a good result against the Tractor bauys, ain't just about the potential financial rewards, it's also about boosting the teams confidence, and striking terror in the hearts of our League 2 opponents too ! [G]

And MODS can we please replace that fecking Tiswas emoji with a King Matt one a.s.a.p. Do please keep up ! ;)
Who’s fortune?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who’s fortune?
The illegitimate child of predictive text and Jonathan Forte.....

iscalad

Winning is a good habit to have. Expect 2 or changes, not wholesale.

budegrecian

Nicky Law will obviously be out so Tillson can start instead of him. I would then look to rest some of the over 30's; Woodman can replace Deanno, without really weakening the defence; Lee Martin can replace Lee Holmes, who rarely plays two games a week; Abrahams can start in place of Forte, again this doesn't really weaken the side. Other than that, I wouldn't make too many other changes; this is still a game we want to win.

Avening Posse

Bookies offering good odds on us for this one, which i am taking on the basis Ipswich may put out their reserves ?

eurogrecian

I'm old school enough to think that the League Cup, like the FA Cup, shouldn't be a Mickey Mouse cup. We complain enough about other clubs taking the mick with established competitions.
Me too in general, but the League Cup never really had the pedigree of the FA Cup.
Money is such a driver of big football these days that sadly big teams are going to field squad players in the FA Cup whatever fans of smaller Clubs think. We should stand up and field the first team for FA Cup games against non-league teams, but I'm not completely averse to blooding young players and given a few first team subs a run-out in Copacabana Cup games.

Ipswich are in need of a win (a bit like West Brom in the FAC last year) and it sounds like they will field a strong side.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd go:

Pym

Oates Aaron Martin Brown Moxey

Lee Martin Taylor Tillson Sparkes

Stockley Abrahams

I'm resting Sweeney, Forte and Holmes and leaving Boateng out.

I don't think Woodman is good enough so I'm keeping Moxey in otherwise I would have rested him.

geoffwp

budegrecian;1738141 I would then look to rest some of the over 30's; [/QUOTE said:
Yup. Over 30's eh? Dead wood and past their sell by. Get rid of then we can chuck all the zimmer frames out with them.
*sigh*

Last edited:

STURTZ

Woodman is part of our squad and shouldn't be overlooked, besides which he's played very well over the last 2 seasons, some might say better than Moxey!

hienzeECFC

I don't agree with that, if you get Man Utd / City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc etc away in the second round you will be talking about a lot of cash coming in, 500k - 1 million plus.
That would apply for the FA Cup, but for the league cup the split in gate receipts for away teams is far less generous - FA cup is around the 55/45 split and league cup is around the 80/20 mark if that.

Happy to be corrected as this is from memory.