• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer 2019 - Possible signings

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not harsh, just factual. He's never settled anywhere.
The facts are he's moved around a bit... I'd interpret the same facts more kindly.

To me, its not a failure to settle. He's shown ambition to step up when he's done well at a smaller club and he's shown willing to go out on loan to get games when he's not been able to get in the team. This is at Leeds and Charlton, mind. When he's played at our level, he's looked good. And he's 27, not 37.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
MT has said he wants to sign another forward. Ogbene can play either wide or down the middle, so his versatility would be handy.
Rumour at Brentford that Ogbene is going on loan to Rotherham for the season.

Temporarily Exiled

Rumour at Brentford that Ogbene is going on loan to Rotherham for the season.
Didn't do much to justify playing when he was here, then went back to Brentford to warm the bench from January. I hope we can get another pacey wide player in on loan, but I wouldn't be fussed at all if it wasn't Ogbene.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't do much to justify playing when he was here, then went back to Brentford to warm the bench from January. I hope we can get another pacey wide player in on loan, but I wouldn't be fussed at all if it wasn't Ogbene.
He was just coming into his own when he left.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems a bit harsh. Looks to me more like he did well as Swindon then hit his ceiling when he stepped up at Leeds and Charlton. If he was good enough to hold down a place at those clubs, he wouldn't be on our radar.
The problem is that after his stint at Leeds and Charlton in 2015 he has been back down in League 2 for a few years scoring an average of once in every 4.5 games. Put it this way, Stockley had more than double his goals per minute at this level and people would still complain about Stockley being lazy. The fact he's been getting used to Mansfield wages as well probably means he doesn't come cheap.

For those reasons, I'm out.

Edit: I'd rather we tried to pick up a highly rated youngster from the conference.

Last edited:

SGF

The problem is that after his stint at Leeds and Charlton in 2015 he has been back down in League 2 for a few years scoring an average of once in every 4.5 games. Put it this way, Stockley had more than double his goals per minute at this level and people would still complain about Stockley being lazy. The fact he's been getting used to Mansfield wages as well probably means he doesn't come cheap.

For those reasons, I'm out.

Edit: I'd rather we tried to pick up a highly rated youngster from the conference.
Before joining Mansfield on loan last season, the last time Ajose had played in League Two was in 2010/11 with Bury: https://int.soccerway.com/players/nicholas-ajose/155730/

Stelios

re: Ajose I saw the words 'ego' and 'lazy' mentioned by Charlton fans online. Not many seemed too bothered he'd been released:

Thank god for that. Awful player. Clearly believes he's a lot more talented than he actually is. If he was half the player he thought that he was then he'd be decent. Sadly his attitude and work rate are dire. Good riddance.
Obviously didn't do enough to impress Mansfield during his loan spell either. But you can find those types of comments about 99% of players from disgruntled fans of any clubs so wouldn't read too much into it. Including Stockley when he was here....... (facepalm)

I'm not sure bringing in unproven players like Abrahams and D Wilson last season did us much good. But then Stockley was unproven when he first came on loan so it's a tough thing to judge. And Sturridge and Healey were superb for Oldham/Mk D*ns so they can be out there. But they were recalled by their parents clubs which mucked things up for them.

Would like to try a hungry, proven lower league player than another 2nd rate 20 year old player who despite being on the books of a higher league club has done sod all at a higher level. I guess you just take what you can.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Before joining Mansfield on loan last season, the last time Ajose had played in League Two was in 2010/11 with Bury: https://int.soccerway.com/players/nicholas-ajose/155730/
He's spent most of his time on loan at Swindon, Bury and Mansfield since 2016.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=57131

He's only played 42 games for Charlton in the three seasons he's been on their books (and only scored 8 goals for them, at a strike rate of less than 1 goal in 5 games.)

jrg333

He's only played 42 games for Charlton in the three seasons he's been on their books (and only scored 8 goals for them, at a strike rate of less than 1 goal in 5 games.)
And Cureton had only scored 2 in 20 in the 2 years before he joined us the first time; then 1 in 19 for Orient before re-joining us.

Sometimes it depends on the club and the player. Ajose can score at this level; just needs someone to get the best out of him. Definitely wouldn't write him off on the basis of stats...

LeedsGrecian

Teaser on social media...

Ajose and a new away shirt?