Summer 2019 - Possible signings

The Proper Chap

A thread for players who you think could do a job for us next season.

I'll start the ball rolling with a left field choice that probably won't go down too well.

Shaun Pearson of Wrexham, he's a 29 year old central defender who generally looks very solid, is good in the air and organises those around him. Imho we need more leaders in our side, he certainly fits the bill. He's also a threat at set pieces.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Would a Mr J. Stockley fancy a 3rd spell at the club?
Thus far he appears to be struggling in the Championship.

I can see him going to a big league one club next season on loan, possibly MK Dons.

I can see him playing for us again at some point however I doubt that will be for several years.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Next season we really need two energetic wing backs, Woodman as a wing back is not what you want.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
One puzzler for me is that at the end of last season Barnet let their keeper, Craig Ross, go, and he has been warming the bench at Woking. In four matches this season he has kept three clean sheets and only let in 2 against Premier League Watford.

I thought he was absolutely outstanding in both matches against us last season (and a Barnet acquaintance said he was good in other matches too!), and were Pym to go in the summer I'd welcome him as Pym's replacement.

Hants_red

exeweb.com admin, Esq.
Staff member
Are our youngsters ready for the rigours of league 2? The likes of Sparkes, Seymour, Dodds, Randall, Kite, Key and Smallcombe shoud be looking for more involvement in the first team, and not just the Chackatrade trophy.

Red Devon

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ryan Taylor from Plymouth if he becomes available, he would get plenty of assists and a few goals partnered with dare I say it Tom Nichols

sidney

Next season we really need two energetic wing backs, Woodman as a wing back is not what you want.
Agree. I think Taylor's long term plan is to play with fast wing backs, but he simply has not had the personnel available in his squad.

arthur

Agree. I think Taylor's long term plan is to play with fast wing backs, but he simply has not had the personnel available in his squad.
What Liverpool do. Three in the middle, three up front, two at the back. Full backs who are capable of bombing forward and at the same time covering back to be part of a back 4 are rare beasts

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
What Liverpool do. Three in the middle, three up front, two at the back. Full backs who are capable of bombing forward and at the same time covering back to be part of a back 4 are rare beasts
What we'd need to do is sign Wilson permanently, then get him cloned in a left-sided version.

The Proper Chap

Jaden Brown was signed for that however Taylor must be disappointed with him.

A back 5 (wing backs) of:

Sweeney O'Shea Moxey

Wilson Brown

doesn't look bad on paper, wing backs bombing on, Sweeney and Moxey keeping an eye on the space they vacate with Collins sitting in and covering a central defender if he has to, sounds great but the reality is likely to be very different !!

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ryan Taylor from Plymouth if he becomes available, he would get plenty of assists and a few goals partnered with dare I say it Tom Nichols
Ryan Taylor is highly unlikely to get assists or goals, his body won't stand up to the rigours of full time football these days, maybe Cheese will fancy him for a one of his pet rehabilitation projects. We need to look forwards, not "misty eyed" backwards into the past.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jaden Brown was signed for that however Taylor must be disappointed with him.

A back 5 (wing backs) of:

Sweeney O'Shea Moxey

Wilson Brown

doesn't look bad on paper, wing backs bombing on, Sweeney and Moxey keeping an eye on the space they vacate with Collins sitting in and covering a central defender if he has to, sounds great but the reality is likely to be very different !!
It depends on if our on-loan players stay or leave. But I'd like us to get a mobile goalscorer, the best version of Cureton that we could get. I'm also not very confident that Bowman will get many goals so would like an improvement there. Can't give any names..

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hopefully WBA go up - will give us more chance of signing O'Shea and Wilson permanently.

But it's up front where we need a massive overhaul. Bowman and Forte are good options to have on the bench/rotation but we need regular goalscorers. Wilson from Macclesfield is a good shout and Ollie Palmer from Crawley could be a good partner if he became available.

22 goal Paul McCallum from Eastleigh, 6'3", would be an excellent signing too if we get a summer windfall and have a bit of money to spend.