• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Starting line up based on players under contract..

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
My starting line-up would be:
(GK) Ward
(RCB) Sweeney
(CB) Parkes
(LCB) Moxey
(RWB) Taylor
(LWB) Sparkes
(LCM) Law
(CM) Atangana
(RCM) Collins
(ATK) Ajose
(ATK) Bowman

Subs of: Maxted, Woodman, Martin (A), Martin (L), Jay, Williams, Fisher

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
He never starts with Lee Martin and always changes the shape when he brings Martin on for Ajose (as a standard substitution after 60 minutes), so neither of them play together which I think Ajose, in particular, and Bowman would benefit from if Martin was to be played wide instead of down the middle. As I said, I'd like to play 3-5-2 but you haven't got wing backs who are better there than Martin and Williams are as wide midfielders/wingers. It is the best formation to get most of your best players in.
Don't know if Matt T will continue to use L Martin as an impact player or a regular starter.
Matt T obviously has a high opinion of Jake T so it will be interesting if the former will ever be prepared to bench him. We do have a lot of choices now.

IndoMike

He never starts with Lee Martin and always changes the shape when he brings Martin on for Ajose (as a standard substitution after 60 minutes), so neither of them play together which I think Ajose, in particular, and Bowman would benefit from if Martin was to be played wide instead of down the middle. As I said, I'd like to play 3-5-2 but you haven't got wing backs who are better there than Martin and Williams are as wide midfielders/wingers. It is the best formation to get most of your best players in.
He started with L Martin, as I suggested.

IndoMike

So you pick Richardson in our best 11. Have you ever even seen him play? You know he's yet to play a professional football match yet right? Madness! Maybe he'll come good at some point this season, but I can't even begin to fathom your reasoning for having him in your first 11 now. There's more argument for Sparkes, although Woody was good again on Saturday. And I'm.not sure how there can be any question of Williams possibly not making the starting 11, he simply has to be in there.
So Richardson and Sparkes played. Not so much madness after all. 😄. And Richardson played quite well. And Williams didn't start. Clearly Matt T and I know the players much better than some.😄😄

Last edited:

IndoMike

So you pick Richardson in our best 11. Have you ever even seen him play? You know he's yet to play a professional football match yet right? Madness! Maybe he'll come good at some point this season, but I can't even begin to fathom your reasoning for having him in your first 11 now. There's more argument for Sparkes, although Woody was good again on Saturday. And I'm.not sure how there can be any question of Williams possibly not making the starting 11, he simply has to be in there.
Just to add : IINM Richardson was/is in Forest's first team squad and reports from Forest are very positive. Sweeney on the other hand is a bog standard Div 2 RB,.although as I suggested I think he might prove better at CB. Regarding Williams : he didn't start. To say that my team selection was "madness" seems a bit off the mark, right?

The thing is if you are picking our best eleven from our squad of players and Williams has to play then there is no room (current form and injuries and suspensions permitting) for our captain, Jake Taylor should Atanaga be as good as he is touted. Also Woody is playing okay but is not a wing back which is what our strikers need. Difficult one to call
For the umpteenth time Jake will start every game he is available for - wasn’t fit enough to start last night but still came on. You don’t have a non playing Captain.......... look at the stats he’s played @ 134 league/play off games in the last 3 years out of around 140.
He will play somewhere......

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
For the umpteenth time Jake will start every game he is available for - wasn’t fit enough to start last night but still came on. You don’t have a non playing Captain.......... look at the stats he’s played @ 134 league/play off games in the last 3 years out of around 140.
He will play somewhere......
He will and I am not disputing that, but you are not reading what I wrote. If you are picking our BEST eleven and there are no injury problems or suspensions and Williams has to play then in my opinion there is no starting spot for Jake,

Ward
Martin A (or Sweeney)Parkes Moxey
Richardson Williams Atangana Law Sparkes
Bowman Ajose (or Martin L)

Meaning no starting positions for Taylor Collins Jay Holmes Seymour Woodman as well as two of the either ors and the other squad players and academy boys like Seymour Cundy Warren Maxted Fisher etc

So you would play a loan player who has played 65 mins of Pro football over the Captain who has played nearing 200 games in the BEST eleven......joker, not to mention a player who has never pulled on a City shirt who you probably have never seen play.!!

Last edited:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
So you see Taylor possibly as our best right wing back, interesting totally wasted in his current midfield role then, and as regards Atangana, I am basing this on what I have read and believe he would be a better option than Taylor not playing in his favoured position. It could be that Atangana doesn't cut it but then for the defensive midfield role you would also have to consider young Archie as well with Taylor probably just shading it.

This debate just emphasises when everyone is fit what a choice we have.

IndoMike

So you see Taylor possibly as our best right wing back, interesting totally wasted in his current midfield role then, and as regards Atangana, I am basing this on what I have read and believe he would be a better option than Taylor not playing in his favoured position. It could be that Atangana doesn't cut it but then for the defensive midfield role you would also have to consider young Archie as well with Taylor probably just shading it.

This debate just emphasises when everyone is fit what a choice we have.
It would be nice to have a Stevie Neville type, but I guess you can't have everything.