• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Starting line up based on players under contract..

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
No it doesn't. Because the defense is tight and there's a defensive midfielder in front the rest are allowed to move around/ be flexible. They don't have to stand still in one place, you know.
Let's see your team...
And if you're going to pick an alternative to Atangana it would be Collins not Taylor. Taylor needs to be mobile to be effective whereas, as he proved all last season and with a much better display on Saturday, Collins can play a much more disciplined role and still be effective.

benjisheps

For what it's worth I think MT is probably looking at evolving the team into a 3-5-2. I don't think it was any coincidence that he took a look at Archie Collins at Right Wing back against Coventry either, possibly thinking about the shape of the team when Antangana gets himself fit.

For me with who is currently available I would think that this is our strongest 11:

Ward
Sweeney Parkes Moxey
Richardson Williams
Taylor Collins
Law

Bowman Ajose/Martin

IndoMike

And if you're going to pick an alternative to Atangana it would be Collins not Taylor. Taylor needs to be mobile to be effective whereas, as he proved all last season and with a much better display on Saturday, Collins can play a much more disciplined role and still be effective.
I want a tackler in front of my back three. Taylor is energetic and a tackler. I see Collins is best further forward.
So what's your team?

grecIAN Harris

I want a tackler in front of my back three. Taylor is energetic and a tackler. I see Collins is best further forward.
So what's your team?
With what we have at the moment it would be a straight forward 4-4-2. Ward; Sweeney, A Martin, Parkes, Woody; L Martin, Atangana (if he's as good as we hope) or Collins (if not), Law, Williams (playing his natural left footed side); Ajose and Bowman.
As I've said before, we have stay at home full backs, especially Woody, so the attacking width is relient on two proper wide men and they must get the ball in early with pace for Ajose and Bowman so they can both attack the service. The only change I'd make to that is when we're away I'd bring Taylor in for Williams and give us a bit more solidity because one thing is for sure, defending isn't Williams thing. I'd like to play 3-5-2 with Collins, Law and Atangana in the middle but we don't have the wing backs of sufficient quality, when comparing them to Martin and Williams, to justify leaving those two out.

IndoMike

With what we have at the moment it would be a straight forward 4-4-2. Ward; Sweeney, A Martin, Parkes, Woody; L Martin, Atangana (if he's as good as we hope) or Collins (if not), Law, Williams (playing his natural left footed side); Ajose and Bowman.
As I've said before, we have stay at home full backs, especially Woody, so the attacking width is relient on two proper wide men and they must get the ball in early with pace for Ajose and Bowman so they can both attack the service. The only change I'd make to that is when we're away I'd bring Taylor in for Williams and give us a bit more solidity because one thing is for sure, defending isn't Williams thing. I'd like to play 3-5-2 with Collins, Law and Atangana in the middle but we don't have the wing backs of sufficient quality, when comparing them to Martin and Williams, to justify leaving those two out.
That's more or less the standard line-up. I think Matt is gonna have to choose one of three, i..e.Atanaga, Collins or Jake. I still think my line-up is better with 3 at the back, one covering midfielder, two attacking wing backs. But then we have to drop Williams ++

grecIAN Harris

That's more or less the standard line-up. I think Matt is gonna have to choose one of three, i..e.Atanaga, Collins or Jake. I still think my line-up is better with 3 at the back, one covering midfielder, two attacking wing backs. But then we have to drop Williams ++
He never starts with Lee Martin and always changes the shape when he brings Martin on for Ajose (as a standard substitution after 60 minutes), so neither of them play together which I think Ajose, in particular, and Bowman would benefit from if Martin was to be played wide instead of down the middle. As I said, I'd like to play 3-5-2 but you haven't got wing backs who are better there than Martin and Williams are as wide midfielders/wingers. It is the best formation to get most of your best players in.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
3-5-2 would be best for both Bowman and Ajose. They just aren't getting the service at the moment to make them effective, we need to get further down the wings than we are, if we can do that then the two strikers can have a go at doing the job they are paid to do.

However to bring in wingbacks in the current squad would mean relying on two 18 year olds to perform that task, but there is always the old addage If you're good enough age doesn't matter

Ash

I am convinced this will prove to be our best team:
Ward
Sweeney - Martin - Parkes
Taylor or Atanaga
Richardson - Law- L Martin- Sparkes
Williams or Ajose - Bowman

This line-up has a solid defense, attacking wingbacks, speed, includes all our best players and has no square pegs in round holes . Please Matt : this is the team![/U]
So you pick Richardson in our best 11. Have you ever even seen him play? You know he's yet to play a professional football match yet right? Madness! Maybe he'll come good at some point this season, but I can't even begin to fathom your reasoning for having him in your first 11 now. There's more argument for Sparkes, although Woody was good again on Saturday. And I'm.not sure how there can be any question of Williams possibly not making the starting 11, he simply has to be in there.

IndoMike

So you pick Richardson in our best 11. Have you ever even seen him play? You know he's yet to play a professional football match yet right? Madness! Maybe he'll come good at some point this season, but I can't even begin to fathom your reasoning for having him in your first 11 now. There's more argument for Sparkes, although Woody was good again on Saturday. And I'm.not sure how there can be any question of Williams possibly not making the starting 11, he simply has to be in there.
So you think Matt signed him not to play?
I said my team will prove to be the best. You understand that refers to the future? "Will" ?
I also said it would be difficult to drop Williams ++. If you read various posts you will see.
Your team, please?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The thing is if you are picking our best eleven from our squad of players and Williams has to play then there is no room (current form and injuries and suspensions permitting) for our captain, Jake Taylor should Atanaga be as good as he is touted. Also Woody is playing okay but is not a wing back which is what our strikers need. Difficult one to call