• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Starting 11 for 18/19 season

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
From what I hear Sparkes right foot is purely for standing on.

Red Devon

Said it before but I'm hoping for a good, injury free season from Lee Holmes.
My favourite player can a very classy! when fit

JRFowler

Is it safe to say we're looking at 442 this season then. Looks like wingers in Sparked and Holmes with possibly another addition?

D__Lo__

Is it safe to say we're looking at 442 this season then. Looks like wingers in Sparked and Holmes with possibly another addition?
I have my doubts. Law can play on the left if needed. Forte is arguably more suited to a winger role (although I expect him to be used as a striker more). Even Moxey at a push.

I hope for a right-sided midfielder, another attacker, centre-back & attacking right-back. I'm confident of only the right-back though.

dommers

I'm confident of only the right-back though.
Likewise and with a couple of injuries we'll be struggling as we have less depth than last year.

benjisheps

I have my doubts. Law can play on the left if needed. Forte is arguably more suited to a winger role (although I expect him to be used as a striker more). Even Moxey at a push.

I hope for a right-sided midfielder, another attacker, centre-back & attacking right-back. I'm confident of only the right-back though.
Looking at the list of senior Pros that have left and the Senior Pros that have arrived I am sure that there is still a good amount of the budget left to bring in some additional players.

Players that have left the club:
Henville
Seaborne
JMT
James
Harley
Simpson
Brunt
McAlindon

Players that have arrived:
Martin
Forte
Law
Abrahams (Loan)

Incidentally I did not include Storey as a Senior Pro as I am sure he was probably not on a significant wage considering he started the season on loan to Dorchester. We probably also need to remember that Pym, Taylor, and Brown have signed new contracts over the last 12 months which would have been on improved money so has probably cut into the budget to some degree.

However; there is definitely room for more to arrive and I'm sure Matt Taylor is working hard behind the scenes (In fact I have heard he is) to get additional players of significant quality into the club.

Those at the club believe the hiring of Andrew Wiseman (Strength and Conditioning Coach) is of major importance as with other clubs now paying much more in wages than City can offer this will enable the club to have a smaller squad than in previous years but with more quality, and his job is to try land essen the amount of injuries the club has dealt with over the past few years. To put things in perspective and give an example, JMT was on 2,250 per week at City and MK Dons were able to offer him 4,000 per week. Ryan Harley only had a year left on his contract and MK Dons have given him a 2 year deal on more money than he was on at City and he was one of the higher earners at the club!!

In fairness I actually think our possible starting 11 is stronger than last year but obviously we need some more signings for depth, competition and possible injuries.

Possible Starting 11:
Pym
Sweeney
Brown
Martin
Moxey
Taylor
Law
Boateng
Holmes
Stockley
Forte

I would be surprised if no one signs this week and fingers crossed there will be some news very soon.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Looking at the list of senior Pros that have left and the Senior Pros that have arrived I am sure that there is still a good amount of the budget left to bring in some additional players.

Players that have left the club:
Henville
Seaborne
JMT
James
Harley
Simpson
Brunt
McAlindon

Possible Starting 11:
Pym
Sweeney
Brown
Martin
Moxey
Taylor
Law
Boateng
Holmes
Stockley
Forte

I would be surprised if no one signs this week and fingers crossed there will be some news very soon.
Its the second X! that is the worry.

Hamon
(Oates)
Croll
Hartidge
Woodman
Collins
Smallcombe
Tillson
Sparkes
Jay
Abrahams

There are not many of those that you'd want to have to play ten consecutive games due to injuries in the first X1(especially with loans not allowed after August)

D__Lo__

You could even include the WBA loanees as well in terms of freed up funds but who knows how much that really amounts to.

I would hope we'll strengthen more as well but I'm not counting any chickens. I prefer to keep expectations lower and be pleasantly surprised. The right-back situation has been done to death but I also think another proven striker and centre-back are very much needed. I just had a look at the squads for the league prediction thread and our starting XI is as good as anyone's but I think everyone is in agreement lack of depth could be the issue.

In terms of the CB situation I still have quite high hopes for Croll and even Sweeney at CB but to fully allow the switch back to his natural position, arguably we'd then require a couple of right-backs. So either way I still think we're a couple of defenders short. Brown's injury issues are at the forefront of my thinking here too.

Atm god-forbid anything happens to Stockley as that could derail the season.

A right sided midfielder would be a nice 'bonus' and allow top quality depth in the middle if Taylor can be considered centrally more often. To be able to have either Law, Boateng or Taylor on the bench would represent a great option later in some games and excellent midfield depth. I can't see a better midfield in the league and another option out wide would be the icing on the cake.

benjisheps

Its the second X! that is the worry.

Hamon
(Oates)
Croll
Hartidge
Woodman
Collins
Smallcombe
Tillson
Sparkes
Jay
Abrahams

There are not many of those that you'd want to have to play ten consecutive games due to injuries in the first X1(especially with loans not allowed after August)
Totally agree with you here. We look especially light in midfield so hopefully reinforcements come in that area. Hopefully a wide player and central player. If Oates signs then I think we are ok defensively (although being greedy I'd like one more CB) as he, Moxey, and Sweeney can also cover at CB as well as Croll.

I still would like to see one more attacking player as well if possible but doubt that will happen.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
With todays signings and what MT has said about being a running team I think we will be playing 3-5-2 next season
Pym
Brown Martin (A) Moxey
Sweeney Boateng Taylor Law Martin (L)
Stockley Forte

Subs
Hamon Oates Woodman Tillson Holmes Jay Sparkes Abrahams

With Taylor playing a more defensive midfield role than we are used to seeing him play. I also think there may just be one/two loan signings in the coming weeks to bolster our central defence