• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Stadium Development

Part of me suspects you have a personal axe to grind.
Nope - nothing personal - purely an observer of organisations and how they work and when they go wrong

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Part of me suspects you have a personal axe to grind.
I thought Pete was Exeweb's resident super sleuth?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I thought Pete was Exeweb's resident super sleuth?
Unlike him I take replies at face value and don't get it into my head that some piece of fiction has suddenly become gospel!

David Treharne

Whose side are you on, Exeter City Council or Exeter City Football Club?.
It's not a question of sides. It's a pragmatic view adopted by the City Council of the performance of the Club over a long period of time. If it proves possible to improve the stability of the Club then it might become a possibility but only after a period of time, and in a situation where the Club has an accountable hierarchy and, possibly most importantly a business plan that makes sense. Most of the decisions at the moment seem to be made on an ad hoc basis.

Local authorities have actually been encouraged to sell freehold assets in order to sustain council tax levels at reasonable rates..
Exeter City Council Tax levels are, in comparison to other parts of Devon, quite low. Besides, as I said in the original post the City Council sees it as an asset, and one which would be low on their set of priorities to sell.

You don't seem to realize that owning the freehold is the stable base which the Club would ultimately benefit from in a host of different ways.
Au contraire I do realise it, and would love for it to be the case, but it's not likely to happen until there is a radical shake up in the way in which the Club is run. Perhaps a debate about how that might be done would be more productive in the short term (and ultimately the long-term as well)

It's not a question of sides. It's a pragmatic view adopted by the City Council of the performance of the Club over a long period of time. If it proves possible to improve the stability of the Club then it might become a possibility but only after a period of time, and in a situation where the Club has an accountable hierarchy and, possibly most importantly a business plan that makes sense. Most of the decisions at the moment seem to be made on an ad hoc basis.

Exeter City Council Tax levels are, in comparison to other parts of Devon, quite low. Besides, as I said in the original post the City Council sees it as an asset, and one which would be low on their set of priorities to sell.

Au contraire I do realise it, and would love for it to be the case, but it's not likely to happen until there is a radical shake up in the way in which the Club is run. Perhaps a debate about how that might be done would be more productive in the short term (and ultimately the long-term as well)
"importantly a business plan that makes sense. Most of the decisions at the moment seem to be made on an ad hoc basis."

No one would sensibly write a business plan that lays out the current arrangements relative to income and performance - it would be laughed out of any board room

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't disagree at all with the notion that the management structure and running of the Club needs urgent attention. The thread was originally taken off on a tangent(possibly to detract from my main point?), and indeed there have already been many threads dealing with that particular issue. This thread however is not about that, it's about the fact that Argyle have got Plymouth City Council wrapped around their little finger in, once again, buying the freehold of Home Park, yet we seem to be incapable of establishing any meaningful relationship with Exeter City Council.

I certainly appreciate that the resolving of both of these problems would take the Club more fully into the 21st. century.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Once again Plymouth City Council have been good to Argyle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37470868
With the Grimes money we could have bought Home Park! :)

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Nice opportunity for a bonfire.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
With the Grimes money we could have bought St. James Park at least twice over!

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
owning the freehold is the stable base which the Club would ultimately benefit from in a host of different ways.
Yes, I can think of nothing more empowering and this is what any half decent business person would have looked to do. The Trust should have looked to make the purchase to protect the asset from the lunatics and incompetents that from time to time control the Club. I would have called for the repayment of the 800+k loan repayable from the Club out of the Grimes windfall and diverted the £100k we hand over to the Club each year which it pours into the black hole to fund loan repayments to cover the rest. The Club would then pay the rent to the Trust not the Council to complete the funding.

Last edited: