• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Smoking

zider

On that rationale, what is wrong with being an addict (to anything) if you don't hurt those around you?
changes those around you to any one then i with you .but there will b someone with a smart ass come back.;)

robin

im congrats about giving up smoking. and about the damage done to yourself, it takes, roughly 2/3 years b4 your body repairs the damage done by smoking. and just a word of warning the next tricky stage in the process is, i but its when you think you've in control and you decide you can just have one and forget it, MISTAKE, ITS THE ADDICTION KICKING BACK IN, seen it done it and worn the badge. good luck.

robin

On that rationale, what is wrong with being an addict (to anything) if you don't hurt those around you?
absolutely nothing, the real issue is the morality behind the supply of your respective drug.

but where the morality kicks in and out, not so sure , once met an Argentinean guy who, whilst traveling around europe in the 90s developed an 'addiction' to peanut butter, believe it or not, he nearly died of it. another story.

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Myself personally have never smoked anything of any kind in my life...not even been tempted or wanted to try it. Ive held fags for people when they are doing their laces up or something and never thought "hmm I wonder what it'd be like to have one puff on it" just hand it back. Im not an anti-smoker and if peole want to smoke thats up to them but I do get very annoyed when people smoke on my train at work, I have threatened to kick people off before now when they try and have a sly fag.

Jean Jeannie

Well done Hants, Antony and everyone who has kicked the habit - I can appreciate how hard it is to give up. My Dad couldn't do it not even when he was in hospice and he died of lung cancer when I was 18. That's the stark reality - it cuts your life short.

Last edited:

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
I smoke about 15 roll ups a day, drink far too much and in my time have tried most every drug under the sun. I was more or less addicted to weed for a couple of years when I was at Uni in the sense of 'wake up, skin up.'

These days the drugs are almost gone, the drinking is massively cut down but the smoking is still killing me. Oh well I'll quit in a few years....

....for all that I know it is bad none of it seems to have caused me any harm so far.

robin

read this a while ago

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/03/16/its_time_for_the_whole_game_to.html

any smoking footballers out their note the timing of him giving up

ties roughly in with his return to form, england ect ect.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Smoking makes you look hard. Thats why i do it.

axred

i suddenly decided to give up on the 2nd january 2007 it was a spur of the momennt thing and i was on 40 roll ups a day , i just finished a fag at 11am and decided that would be my last and it has so far , in the 1st year i did put on over a stone but this year i lost 24lb so i'm lighter now than when i smoked and i suppose fitter , so just to say to those trying to quit ,give it a go its not that hard

mustangspeed2006

I've just returned from the Czech Republic & it was weird to see people being able to smoke in bars, nightclubs etc. I was talking to a Ukranian girl over there & she was saying how it was almost socially encouraged in her country.