• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Smoking

shakey18

I got a little confused by that post, but then realised what you mean, I meant it different to how you perceived, I meant because she keeps getting a cough, and may develop asthma because of me, but I know what you mean, it wouldn't be fair to her if I got, say cancer or something and was ill.
I feel so guilty for not giving up as soon as i got pregnant, but what's done is done, and I can't change it, all I can do is my best now.
It certainly wasn't a dig at you, i don't know your circumstances.I am REALLY glad for you that you have managed to give up.I have seen first hand what smoking can do.I think if you saw my girlfriends step-mum, you'd know what i mean.56 years old and struggling to make christmas.It is shocking, believe me.I can appreciate the addiction part of it, and how hard it must be to give up.I suppose there is a fine line between a persons rights, and laws to help the population.Keep it going DOIM-the reason for it is the little person you get up for breakfast every morning.

shakey18

Because people don't want to be told they can't smoke. They don't want to feel treated like a leper because they have an addiction.

I feel the latest Tw*t thing by the government, putting the limit for fags up to 18, is stupid. My bro is 17, so has been 'allowed' to smoke for a year, but now, all of a sudden he's been told he can't. You can't just do that, they are actually forcing him to quit, and thats against human rights surely.
I agree that the raising of the age limit is sh*te-totally.What would you say though if a member of your family was a heroin addict, and could still buy it from their corner shop, even though you know it would kill them?.Believe me its the same, the only thing thats different is the time line.

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
I meant it different to how you perceived, I meant because she keeps getting a cough, and may develop asthma because of me....
Anyone who smokes in the same room as a child, or in a car with a child needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

Daughter of I_M

It certainly wasn't a dig at you, i don't know your circumstances.I am REALLY glad for you that you have managed to give up.I have seen first hand what smoking can do.I think if you saw my girlfriends step-mum, you'd know what i mean.56 years old and struggling to make christmas.It is shocking, believe me.I can appreciate the addiction part of it, and how hard it must be to give up.I suppose there is a fine line between a persons rights, and laws to help the population.Keep it going DOIM-the reason for it is the little person you get up for breakfast every morning.
Thats quite harsh, 56 and those circumstances. I just hope I haven't already damaged myself. I've smoked for 8 years now, and fear I have done damage somehow.

Daughter of I_M

Anyone who smokes in the same room as a child, or in a car with a child needs to take a long hard look at themselves.
I have never smoked in the same room as Lois, and never in the car with her. I wouldn't do that. I know it's not much better but we always went in the kitchen with the door closed and all windows wide open. I wouldn't just blow it in her face.

shakey18

Thats quite harsh, 56 and those circumstances. I just hope I haven't already damaged myself. I've smoked for 8 years now, and fear I have done damage somehow.
Well 8 years worth of damage can be undone if you are young enough.Just don't start again!.I get the impression you KNOW it isn't worth it.Passive smoking is a killer too though, just ask Roy Castle...

Last edited:

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just think, all that money you save on fags can now go towards your next few drinks, Hic!! :p

Daughter of I_M

Just think, all that money you save on fags can now go towards your next few drinks, Hic!! :p
Excuse me, what are you trying to say. I'm actually saving the same amount of money I'd spend on fags to treat myself, with the Alton towers trip, or if that doesn't happen I'll buy myself something nice.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thing with giving up smoking is it has to be you who decides, no-one else. When I gave up, it was because it was the right thing for me to do at the time. No amount of pressure or bullying from friends, family or even doctors would have forced me to quit, it doesn't work like that.

It has to be because you want to, and when that times comes that you really, truly, want to give up, then just like me you will, and will be the easiest thing in the world to do.

Seriously, it will.

Daughter of I_M

Thing with giving up smoking is it has to be you who decides, no-one else. When I gave up, it was because it was the right thing for me to do at the time. No amount of pressure or bullying from friends, family or even doctors would have forced me to quit, it doesn't work like that.

It has to be because you want to, and when that times comes that you really, truly, want to give up, then just like me you will, and will be the easiest thing in the world to do.

Seriously, it will.
Exactly. When I was pregnant, people tried to force me to quit, therefore i wouldn't. And all my life, u should quit, u should quit etc etc. But for a while I haven't had any hassle at all and something clicked. I'm doing it for my reasons, not anyone elses.

But tbh Ant, you do give Looby sh*t for smoking, so you're contradicting yourself. Leave her alone and maybe she'll do it on her own. But only if she wants to. It's totally up to her if she wants to smoke, and nothing to do with you. So let her be. I know this because the first day I met you, you got funny with her for smoking and I said something to you, I'm not sure what I said, but do you remember?

Anyway, yes, you have to do it for your own reasons. No one elses or it wont work.