• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sir Ian Blair/De Menezes

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
No I don't know what a scuffer is, which is why I asked the question. What's the point in asking a question that you already know the answer to?

So I'll ask again: what's a scuffer?

angelic upstart

As regards the voluntary nature of being a firearms officer, this link explains the problems....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/met-in-crisis-as-protesting-officers-lay-down-arms-531778.html

The most pertinent part of the article is this in my view....

" All firearms officers volunteer to carry weapons and.............

There is no disciplinary sanction for quitting as a firearms officer and returning to normal duties."
Clearly this is going round in circles, when I first posted the word "voluntary" I purposely used "voluntary" in speech marks, to show that I understood, that police officers volunteer, to become firearms officers. As a result of this, the police are taken from ordinary police duties and in the main, have less work to do. I am not doubting for a second, that when they do work, on occasion, it will be an extremely difficult job. My issue with the word voluntary, is that I believe that firearms officers are rewarded for their "volunteering" which, in turn, means that it isn't actually volunteering at all.

A pointless, pathetic example that I will make up to try and emphasis this point for the 4th time, is as follows. In the real world, someone may volunteer their time and money to make some buns for their childrens school fete, in return the school gets a couple of quid, and a lawsuit for crimes against cookery. The person that cooks these buns does so for the benefit of the school, and their child. They receive no personal gain. If this was the firearms unit, the bun cooks child would be given special treatment within the school, from the school as a reward for the bun making. I genuinely hope this makes my point clear.

I fear, that within this exchange of messages, you are trying to win an imaginary argument, which isn't there. Our views are polar opposite, and neither of us will change that because (in the case of myself) some ***** on an internet message board has a differing opinion. Can't we go back to moaning about slightly less petty things, like politics or something?

P.S. Ant, a Scuffer is a really, really old word for policeman.

Last edited:

Ian Sideman

Welcome back Mr.Moxey.

You know what a scuffer is, and they all wear guns where you have been.
Westward Ho! ?

tavyred

I fear, that within this exchange of messages, you are trying to win an imaginary argument, which isn't there. Our views are polar opposite, and neither of us will change that because (in the case of myself) some ***** on an internet message board has a differing opinion. Can't we go back to moaning about slightly less petty things, like politics or something?
Your need to explain (4 times!) what you mean by voluntary is baffling me, but by any meaning of the word I know of, firearms Police are volunteers, period!
This "imaginary argument" BTW is on a thread YOU dragged up from 3 years ago, and in arguing the t*ss with you I am suggesting that the view you have re. the law and holding the Police accountable is laudable but fraught with dangers to our national security.
To many people like yourself have reactionary views as regards the Police, if I have educated you to the fact that there are balances to be had if you go after a Copper acting in our name, then I`m happy.

angelic upstart

Are you sure I am being reactionary?

Just how, is holding a bent copper to account a threat to national security? I genuinely don't recall a time, when I, or anyone I know has suffered a threat, as a result of a policeman being brought to justice.

As it happens, I am all too aware of the tough job that servicemen and women nationwide do on our behalf every day. That doesn't mean to say that the system is perfect, and like all systems, improvements, changes and progress must be made. So no, you've not educated me in any way, as I have wrote previously, we simply will not agree on certain things. I hold no ill feeling towards you, because you hold a different view, I am merely stuck at home and bored and this passes the time. I am guessing you're doing the same, except the taxpayer is paying you to do it :) For that, I give you respect.

Poultice

Westward Ho! ?
France wasn't it ?

Poultice

Just how, is holding a bent copper to account a threat to national security?
Has there been a suggestion that any of the scuffers (police officers) involved were bent ?

There was unquestionably ineptitude present on the day, but then who in their right mind would give a woman a man's job to do, but the ARU involved were following a direct order in a high pressure environment, the blame lies elsewhere among the university grads.