• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Season Tickets 2017/18

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pictures of Jake Taylor, David Wheeler, Reuben Reid, JMT and Ollie as having signed up for next season. Good to have this confirmed!
I'd take that with a pinch of salt at the moment. Hopefully true though.

David Treharne

It's gratifying that season ticket prices have been frozen. The experiences of season 2013-2014 showed that attempts to hike prices beyond what the market will reasonably accommodate can lead to a hiatus from which it can take a long time to recover. Despite the attempts by various bodies and organisations to provide evidence that Exeter is in the middle of an economic and developmental boom, the fact remains that in the main, the area remains a low wage economy area. The Club seems to have learned from the experience of the experiment by our then Chief Executive and is attempting to generate income from a more diverse set of sources, which is welcome.

paperclip

Had my email today, and whilst I am pleased to note the prices have been frozen, I would LOVE to know how the club can justify a 'banking and service charge' of £5 (or £6.50 plus postage if you elect to have your season ticket posted out).

This in effect a price increase by stealth, as there is absolutely no way it will cost the club £5 to process the payment for each ticket sold.

Won't stop me renewing, I just detest this type of thing, which IMO is completely unnecessary.

Rant over.

Last edited:

BlockC

Paperclip; The survey a few years ago requested that these were separated out and not hidden. The charge works out the same as last year and only contributes to offset some of the costs, tickets, wallets, stationary, banking charges (and these can be well over £5 if a credit card is used - even 3% of a £300 ticket is £9 ! ) and other costs.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Had my email today, and whilst I am pleased to note the prices have been frozen, I would LOVE to know how the club can justify a 'banking and service charge' of £5 (or £6.50 plus postage if you elect to have your season ticket posted out).

This in effect a price increase by stealth, as there is absolutely no way it will cost the club £5 to process the payment for each ticket sold.

Won't stop me renewing, I just detest this type of thing, which IMO is completely unnecessary.

Rant over.
I have to agree. Last season I renewed my ticket on-line and paid with a debit card. If I'm correct, unlike credit cards there's no charge to the vendor. I chose to collect my ticket from the club so no postage charge. I went in, gave my details, the ticket was printed there and then -took about two minutes. Pretty sure I was charged a fiver.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Paperclip; The survey a few years ago requested that these were separated out and not hidden. The charge works out the same as last year and only contributes to offset some of the costs, tickets, wallets, stationary, banking charges (and these can be well over £5 if a credit card is used - even 3% of a £300 ticket is £9 ! ) and other costs.
So charge more for a Credit Card payment. Simples.

paperclip

The charge for payment by credit card will be much closer to 1%, and certainly nowhere near the 3% you have quoted. Payment by debit card will incur a transaction fee of no more than 35p. I would have thought a better idea would have been to only charge an 'admin' fee if payment is offered by credit card. The cost of stationary and wallets etc will be negligible frankly as these will (presumably) have been purchased in bulk.

As I say, it won't stop me renewing, but wouldn't it be have been a nice gesture from the club if S/T holders were to be rewarded for their ongoing support and loyalty by not being charged an additional over-inflated fee?

Last edited:

ECFC Music

Rant over.
I agree completely with you however it is not just Exeter City that are levying such charges. It is prevalent everywhere in an effort to extract additional income whilst being able to advertise headline prices excluding these add ons. Admin charges,processing costs,arrangement fees you name it they have a word to pretend they are incurring extra variable costs that need to be covered , when in fact most of these charges are fixed and are their normal operating expenses. Banks ,airlines they are all at unfortunately and it ain't going to change.
I would much prefer a simple price even if it is slightly higher than the headline figure in the interest of simplicity and clarity.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pictures of Jake Taylor, David Wheeler, Reuben Reid, JMT and Ollie as having signed up for next season. Good to have this confirmed!
Hmmm. A few weeks ago we had many under 16s including Ethan described as having 'signed' scholarship terms.

Followed swiftly by a correction that they 'had been offered'....

(no Lee Holmes pictured though/)

Terryhall

Rant over.
Looking online, the site clearly states there will be a £5 fee plus postage costs if needed, with a link if you want more information, which takes you to a page that shows the below;

---

Fees:

A booking fee to offset some of the service and material cost is charged on a per-season ticket basis. Postage and a nominal fee of 50p to offset some of the banking costs is charged as appropriate on a per order basis.

Booking Fee

Per Season Ticket - £5

Recorded Delivery - £2.50
Post 1st Class - £1.50
Post 2nd Class - £1.25
Collect or Card Payment - 50p
Cash at Reception - Free

---

To my mind that's a nice clear breakdown of what the related costs are; the costs are the same as last season (so still a price freeze); and a £5 booking fee on a £300 season ticket is only a 1.5% fee which doesn't feel excessive to me to cover general admin costs - and it's an even lower % if you're not buying on the BB (and of course the admin costs stay the same, which is exactly as it should be since they don't vary with the cost of the ticket).

Additionally I remember the club consulting with fans maybe 2 or 3 seasons ago (?) to ask whether fans wanted these costs bundled in with the overall ticket price, or separate so that fans could clearly see what the admin and postage costs were - as I recall the reply was a clear majority wanted the costs separate.

Given all of that, I personally don't see much to criticise the club for here. If anything I think this is a reason to congratulate the club - a freeze on season ticket prices, clear indication as to what the related admin and postage costs would be, based on the decision taken after a consultation with the fans as to their preference. What's to complain about?