• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sack the groundsman

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
This was the pitch for the last home match last season. I think it was pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVIjQuyJ-PM
And so it should be...May is twice a week mowing season anyone with a grass box over their head could create very good football pitch during that month.

Last edited:

Andy Holloway

Er......so does Clive Pring, big boy. So that makes him as much of an expert as you? Before he was City’s groundsman, he was a green keeper at Woodbury. I’m confident he knows more about City’s pitch than you.
Teignmouth Golf Club actually.

Brinty IFA

Teignmouth Golf Club actually.
Really doesn’t matter .....but he definitely worked at Woodbury when “Nige” was there

Red faced

Our pitch is horrific and we are becoming the new Newport . more mud than grass on it. .. all this chat about how much we have spent on it, well it should be good with a decent greenkeeper looking after it. Being a qualified groundsman myself I would be embarrassed to Present our pitch on a Saturday afternoon.! Maybe ours is on Minimum wage and doesn't really care About presentation
Even his white lines are crooked! Discuss
What an ignorant, vindictive & poisonous post, specifically targeting a bloody groundsman on a public forum like this. If you have such issues then why don't you contact he club directly. The guys puts in a big shift to do the best he can with what he has. He doesn't have the same privileges as the playing staff and prob reads Exeweb. Although its insulting enough of you to suggest he's on minimum wage, if he were, even more the reason not publicly hang him.

Maybe next time, think before you post and wind your neck in..I'd be more concerned about what we put on the pitch at 3pm on Saturdays..

Spoonz Red E

And so it should be...May is twice a week mowing season anyone with a grass box over their head could create very good football pitch during that month.
One year ago - January/February
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKctnBpoVEY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQEC6WPWdTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zCxucZnFCE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBVVTxRC04o

I'm getting fed up with this - I'll let others judge.

PeteUSA

What an ignorant, vindictive & poisonous post, specifically targeting a bloody groundsman on a public forum like this. If you have such issues then why don't you contact he club directly. The guys puts in a big shift to do the best he can with what he has. He doesn't have the same privileges as the playing staff and prob reads Exeweb. Although its insulting enough of you to suggest he's on minimum wage, if he were, even more the reason not publicly hang him.

Maybe next time, think before you post and wind your neck in..I'd be more concerned about what we put on the pitch at 3pm on Saturdays..
I totally agree. Theres no earthly need to lay into the groundsman like that; and dont you just hate it when someone posts diatribe like that, then they give you the 'directive' to "discuss" at the end? Maybe I dont want to discuss. In fact I definitely dont think I want to discuss!

Red Devon

Quite capable of judging the pitch myself thank you...like others!! have said it’s horrible!

AndrewP

I've seen some crap on exeweb many times before, but this thread is utter tripe and toxic in the extreme from some quaters....Get a grip and have some respect. Whilst we can debate the quality of the infrastrucutre and historical work undertaken, please lets not enage in public critisism of those striving to deliver a suitable surface to play on whilst dealing with some factors way out of their control...

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Let’s not forget either the pitch has had 3.5 games played on it in just under 3 weeks, so it was always going to take its toll with having so many games in such a short space of time. The 0.5 at the start against FGR set the tone, and with the drainage system being overloaded that day it’s obviously taken it’s toll in the long run. The groundsmen at SJP do a thankless task, and I’m sure they undertake their roles to the best of their abilities.

Apart from the premier league cup game on the 22nd iirc, the pitch won’t be used again until February 10th now (unless FGR or Yeovil are rearranged in the meantime), so the pitch should have adequate time to recover for then.

denzel

Those critising need to look at other pitches. Bradford's didn't look great yesterday. Coventry's was awful last week.
It's Winter, we've had a lot of rain, a lot of home games, and the ground is being redeveloped.

Like others have said, the OP seems particularly vindicate and unnecessary.

And apparently we won yesterday...