• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sack the groundsman

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm just referring to explanations given regarding the state of the pitch as posted on EW and assuming it's true. And as a point of principle to start a thread with "Sack the groundsman " or "Sack the tea lady" or whatever seems way too harsh.
Maybe Mike, but I guess anyone at the club who provides a service that is ultimately consumed by the customer is open to 'legitimate' criticism....

Andy Holloway

The play-off match prevented re-seeding, as has already been said - nothing to do with the extra game.

I seem to recall we've already seen vehicles driving across the pitch in one of the time lapse videos

(Thanks for posting the Torquay video, will keep Pete busy on the goalkeeping for the first two goals and the ref's decision for the pen)
That was the Groundsman's van, the only other vehicle that went across the pitch - under strict supervision - was the Wally Balsdon 'tractor' unit with the HIAB, that was needed to lift the BB floodlights into position.

IndoMike

Maybe Mike, but I guess anyone at the club who provides a service that is ultimately consumed by the customer is open to 'legitimate' criticism....
Yes, of course a customer has the right to complain if the complaint is legitimate. But the thread title is not "Sack the pitch" but "sack the groundsman", and we don't know if it is his fault - other reasons for the pitch condition have been given. If you read the OP again you'll see other comments were made which in my mind seem out of order.

IndoMike

That was the Groundsman's van, the only other vehicle that went across the pitch - under strict supervision - was the Wally Balsdon 'tractor' unit with the HIAB, that was needed to lift the BB floodlights into position.
This is your post from December 06.
"It (the pitch/ in the close season) got the same 'love and affection' that Clive and his team always give the pitch close season, just that it was not ripped up and relaid this year as in the past. But the verti draining and top dressing were all done as normal". And some people posted that there were delays beyond the control of the groundstaff due to the playoff match and because some equipment had to be moved across the pitch.

Last edited:

contrabombarde

Making a valued & generalised judgement about groundkeeping is one thing but gong on to personally slam the groundsman in the public domain is completely unacceptable . There are ways of saying things. Its ok for the poster to point the finger directly at Clive Pring for us to publicly as if it wont affect Clive but yet when questioned, the poster will only give the vaguest indication of where his work is done. Absolute bloody Troll . To then go on and suggest that he probably takes no care in his presentation because he may be on minimum wage is utterly deplorable . Maybe one day this posters child or grandchild will be in a minimum wage, poss being treated like sh*t - I hope he remembers that - What a bigot. As Pete says for him to raise this and then encourage us to discuss is appalling & arrogant.

I find this so offensive honestly ; WTF is wrong with our society that a fool like this posts the sh*t. So many of us all try to show our children the best way, within our means, on how to conduct themselves on Social Media to prevent trolling & Cyber bullying etc and yet we have grown men posting this type of tripe. Grow up FFS. Even though its a discussion forum have some respect.
I have to agree with the sentiment of this post and think that the OP is beyond the pale. However I had to chuckle at the touch of irony in the last paragraph. I hope that your children are too young to understand acronyms!

Colesman Ballz

Quite frankly, why we are giving any attention to the op is beyond me. If I received the authors "cv" for a job application I wouldn't dream of giving him an interview and it would go straight in the bin. Why ? Because he claims to maintain half of Somerset, and yet only occasionally works 60 hour weeks ! Must spend 99% of his time travelling too !

Red faced

I have to agree with the sentiment of this post and think that the OP is beyond the pale. However I had to chuckle at the touch of irony in the last paragraph. I hope that your children are too young to understand acronyms!
No "irony" here mate. Just the use of language to drive a point. I'm pretty sure nobody is really upset with what I have said except possibly the the opening poster but I doubt it. He's created a debate, poss at the emotional expense of someone else, which is what he wanted.

MagzECFC