• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sack the groundsman

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Even his white lines are crooked!Discuss
While wholeheartedly disagreeing with the thread title, this, at least, is true. I sit bang on the halfway line and it was decidedly kinky yesterday!

Interestingly, and I assume this ain't the case but don't know what other explanation there is, the halfway line appears to have moved three or four feet nearer the away end over the course of recent weeks – look closely and you can still see what appears to be the old one to the right of the current one. Given the goals have remained where they were, this is hard to comprehend!

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
So if a professional groundsman with obvious expertise in the area (unlike I imagine most of those who've responded ) comes on here and makes a judgement/comment based on his professional opinion, I think that should be respected just as much as any comment on any subject. This is a discussion forum.
RB we have no proof that the OP is a professional grounds keeper ? I'm not saying he isn't but if you criticising another person in the same area of work then you should be able to back up your standards of work with examples.

I can handle a mower pretty good but you wouldn't want me touching a crown green bowls surface !

Red faced

Making a valued & generalised judgement about groundkeeping is one thing but gong on to personally slam the groundsman in the public domain is completely unacceptable . There are ways of saying things. Its ok for the poster to point the finger directly at Clive Pring for us to publicly as if it wont affect Clive but yet when questioned, the poster will only give the vaguest indication of where his work is done. Absolute bloody Troll . To then go on and suggest that he probably takes no care in his presentation because he may be on minimum wage is utterly deplorable . Maybe one day this posters child or grandchild will be in a minimum wage, poss being treated like sh*t - I hope he remembers that - What a bigot. As Pete says for him to raise this and then encourage us to discuss is appalling & arrogant.

I find this so offensive honestly ; WTF is wrong with our society that a fool like this posts the sh*t. So many of us all try to show our children the best way, within our means, on how to conduct themselves on Social Media to prevent trolling & Cyber bullying etc and yet we have grown men posting this type of tripe. Grow up FFS. Even though its a discussion forum have some respect.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
RB we have no proof that the OP is a professional grounds keeper ? I'm not saying he isn't but if you criticising another person in the same area of work then you should be able to back up your standards of work with examples.

I can handle a mower pretty good but you wouldn't want me touching a crown green bowls surface !
I think what he is saying is true, which is why he feels so strongly about it. But although the pitch is cr*p at the moment explanations have been given as to why it is cr*p and I think our groundsman is absolved of responsibility. Therefore the thread title is unfair, especially as the said groundsman probably has no outlet to defend himself.PS. i don't know the groundsman.

malcolms

Bearing in mind how many people are bringing up the amount of rain seen in the South West and the impact on the pitch, it might be helpful to compare our pitch with Torquay's on the same day (yesterday)

I make no observations, make your own mind up.

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/match-info/match-centre/1-2849741/videos/122119

IndoMike

Bearing in mind how many people are bringing up the amount of rain seen in the South West and the impact on the pitch, it might be helpful to compare our pitch with Torquay's on the same day (yesterday)

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/match-info/match-centre/1-2849741/videos/122119
Yes, Malcs, but I understood that the groundsman couldn't treat the pitch as per standard schedule due to the playoff game and due to construction issues. I can't think of any other reason why our groundsman wouldn't do his normal, good job unless he was hampered by the above.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong

Torquays pitch should look the dogs tbh since the start of Novenber they have played 6 games on it ?

How many games have we played at SJP 11 ?

malcolms

Yes, Malcs, but I understood that the groundsman couldn't treat the pitch as per standard schedule due to the playoff game and due to construction issues. I can't think of any other reason why our groundsman wouldn't do his normal, good job unless he was hampered by the above.
I said I wasn't going to post any observations, but I'll just ask the question...How many home extra games due to playoffs? (1) I also understood no construction equipment was allowed on the pitch... If not, then I'm not sure how relevant that can be.

IndoMike

I said I wasn't going to post any observations, but I'll just ask the question...How many home extra games due to playoffs? (1) I also understood no construction equipment was allowed on the pitch... If not, then I'm not sure how relevant that can be.
I'm just referring to explanations given regarding the state of the pitch as posted on EW and assuming it's true. And as a point of principle to start a thread with "Sack the groundsman " or "Sack the tea lady" or whatever seems way too harsh.

Nigel E

The play-off match prevented re-seeding, as has already been said - nothing to do with the extra game.

I seem to recall we've already seen vehicles driving across the pitch in one of the time lapse videos

(Thanks for posting the Torquay video, will keep Pete busy on the goalkeeping for the first two goals and the ref's decision for the pen)