• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Sack the groundsman

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Keen! Would be a good pub Crawl, my grounds include schools, colleges, cricket pitches and football. From Taunton up too around axbridge/cheddar area. Where is the meeting point?
Unless any of those pitches are full time for professional players then tbh your grounds keeping work isn't going to even come close.

The guys that look after JLC pitches do a great job with what they have to start with but you wouldn't want a pro team playing on it.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
All joking aside and the op is a bit harsh but why does everyone defend our groundsman?
Because for all the previous seasons, before the issues we've had this summer with the playoffs and redevelopment preventing our usual close season preparation, the pitch has been excellent and the training ground pitches are also vastly improved and well maintained.

Last edited:

Ashford Grecian

1-0 = 3 points who cares ;)

Colesman Ballz

1-0 = 3 points who cares ;)
Exactly, do we need a perfect pitch at all. We had utterly shambolic home results on it, but as it has deteriorated, so our home results have improved in direct correlation. I for one don't want to see any improvements to it before the end of the season ! :)

STURTZ

Ensuring a crap playing surface was how Clough won the first division with Derby.

malcolms

Ensuring a crap playing surface was how Clough won the first division with Derby.
Assuming we don't want/need a good playing surface to win games, should we revisit the need for a Groundsman and related staff...If SP and JT could roll their sleeves up, jump on the mower and achieve a similar result surely the saving on overheads would be substantial...We'd then also be able to answer Pete's oft repeated question "what do they actually do?"

Red Devon

Because for all the previous seasons, before the issues we've had this summer with the playoffs and redevelopment preventing our usual close season preparation, the pitch has been excellent
Rubbish! It hasn’t been excellent Paul will tell you that

The sand base drainage is very good during dry weather ie a thunderstorm in August but come December, January time the pitch is a mess with more sand than grass on the top surface!!

Mr.Sparkle

It would appear the OP is after Mr. Prings job. Nice try, might want to unplug the flymo there’s rain forecast.

Spoonz Red E

Rubbish! It hasn’t been excellent Paul will tell you that

The sand base drainage is very good during dry weather ie a thunderstorm in August but come December, January time the pitch is a mess with more sand than grass on the top surface!!

I'll see your 'rubbish' and raise it with 'garbage' and 'tosh'. The pitch has been excellent in recent seasons in terms of the groundstaffs' work (this thread is about the groundstaff remember) and several posts and comments I've heard at the ground from supporters over recent seasons attest to that. This season it is poor for the reasons given.

This was the pitch for the last home match last season. I think it was pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVIjQuyJ-PM

Last edited:

citizen

Nowt wrong with the pitch ,look at the home form!