• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Reuben Reid is a Grecian

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Allegedly he has failed medicals at a few clubs. Shrews, Notts Co. & Portsmouth I've seen reported several times (Charlton I've also seen mentioned to a lesser extent) Maybe for once we are seeing the benefits to the laxity of our 'medicals'!

Re. above post, I've been searching for the length of contract and can't find anything I would assume it's a 1 or 2 year deal. I suggest the latter as you'd think there must be something attractive in the deal for Reid, surely it's not down totally to Tis' charms?
I saw a Facebook post which was from the Echo that suggested a 1 year contract to be signed tomorrow on the basis he passed a medical today (which he did), but it is the Echo, so...........

D__Lo__

I saw a Facebook post which was from the Echo that suggested a 1 year contract to be signed tomorrow on the basis he passed a medical today (which he did), but it is the Echo, so...........
Cheers that's helpful (so it is down to Tis' charm!)

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tend to lean towards the rose-tinted end of the spectrum, but I reckon he's gonna be ****. Too much smells dodgy about this move, I just can't believe we'd end up with a fit, prolific Reuben Reid turning down an Argyle contract and landing at St. James. Would love to be proved wrong though.

Colesman Ballz

If he makes it onto the bench on saturday, it will be interesting to see reaction that he gets from the neanderthals in the away end !

Especially (a) if he comes on, and (b) if he bundles in the 95th minute winner ! (rofl)

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cheers that's helpful (so it is down to Tis' charm!)
and seems on what you said,, he cant get a contract elsewhere,,,

D__Lo__

Tend to lean towards the rose-tinted end of the spectrum, but I reckon he's gonna be ****. Too much smells dodgy about this move, I just can't believe we'd end up with a fit, prolific Reuben Reid turning down an Argyle contract and landing at St. James. Would love to be proved wrong though.
I would tend to agree if he was about speed and movement (I know he's no slouch) but Reid's main quality has always been his strength. So on that basis even with a bit of a crocked knee (which is what has lead to the failed medicals elsewhere) I'm confident he can do a job and do it where it matters and where we need; the penalty box. I look at Akinfenwa and his undeiable contribution still and I'm confident Reid is a superior footballer to him.

My only concern is whether City will utilise his qualities and get him the ball where he needs it. We've failed to do it enough with Simpson so far. Both signal a requirement to alter our style.

Re. turning down the Argyle deal looking at it now it seems a risky move. I'm not sure if he would have made the same decision today given the failed medicals but maybe he knew something we didn't...

D__Lo__

and seems on what you said,, he cant get a contract elsewhere,,,
Newport were disappointed when he 'indirectly' turned them down. So maybe I didn't give a totally fair impression but you're probably on to something nonetheless.

PeteUSA

I think that "too much smells dodgy about this move" too. The players a proven goalscorer, he's relatively young and he's probably still ambitious. I can only assume that he's signed on a game by game basis, and he'll be allowed to go if a half decent club shows interest. Its incredible that Newport County didnt want him; I can only assume because of his record of injuries. Whatever his agreement is with City I say welcome aboard. Regretfully I dont think a fit injury free Reid will stay at the club for long. Hopefully he'll be all guns blazing on saturday, when if we lose we could go bottom of the table.

D__Lo__

I think that "too much smells dodgy about this move" too. The players a proven goalscorer, he's relatively young and he's probably still ambitious. I can only assume that he's signed on a game by game basis, and he'll be allowed to go if a half decent club shows interest. Its incredible that Newport County didnt want him; I can only assume because of his record of injuries. Whatever his agreement is with City I say welcome aboard. Regretfully I dont think a fit injury free Reid will stay at the club for long. Hopefully he'll be all guns blazing on saturday, when if we lose we could go bottom of the table.
Re. Newport, I was too lazy to elaborate above but what happened is Feeney wasn't prepared to give Reid however long he wanted to think the offer over. Reid had other options (of which it looks like City may have been one now) and wasn't prepared to make a decision/abide by Newport's deadline. So saying Newport didn't want him is inaccurate I'm afraid. They very much did, with the 'slight' caveat of requiring a quick answer. Feeney was very complimentary about Reid in everything I read (all of which included direct quotes)

Last edited:

ecfc2000

This is clearly a great signing by the club, but could Reuben not have signed with a bigger and better club? He must have had other offers? Seems strange that he's left Argyle to join us.