• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Proper Interesting Thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
On the karaoke stage, have you ever sang Harry Nilssons's "Can't Live",no matter what key you start in it always ends up embarrassing, but funny as f@ck.

elginCity

Personally, seriously struggled with ‘Kingston Town’ absolutely slaughtered it and blamed the karaoke machine.

IndoMike

'Unchained Melody' is the killer with it's high note. At my brother's wedding years ago they had a showband who would invite singers from the audience.
With this song they would 'check' the key with the singer before playing and then start the song in a higher key.
That is true, Spoonz, but the line "won't you please... " sung by Bobby Hatfield as the song reaches a crescendo is pretty high. I love this song and never get bored with it.

Colesman Ballz

'Unchained Melody' is the killer with it's high note. At my brother's wedding years ago they had a showband who would invite singers from the audience.
With this song they would 'check' the key with the singer before playing and then start the song in a higher key.
Must have been The Funkin Barstewards !

elginCity

Heard this one yesterday, direct from a Yank.

The US fairground High Striker stall used to offer a Montecristo as a prize to those who could swing the mallet hard enough to ring the bell.

Many were 'close, but no cigar'.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
That's interesting, elgin. I'd guess that perhaps the fairground proprietor was using what was, prossibly, an already well-known saying as a marketing ploy.
According to Green's Dictionary Of Slang:

[SE phr. close but no cigar] (US) a beauty, an attractive woman.
1940 J.H. O'Hara Pal Joey 60: The mouse with me is strictly no cigar and the daughter of a small town banker.

elginCity

That's interesting, elgin. I'd guess that perhaps the fairground proprietor was using what was, prossibly, an already well-known saying as a marketing ploy.
According to Green's Dictionary Of Slang:

[SE phr. close but no cigar] (US) a beauty, an attractive woman.
1940 J.H. O'Hara Pal Joey 60: The mouse with me is strictly no cigar and the daughter of a small town banker.
Bow to your knowledge of all things etymology, Rae, but I found the Yank’s version proper interesting!

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... I found the Yank’s version proper interesting!
Me too. (y)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Got another one. On a timeline of Planet Earth the Tyrannosaurus Rex would be closer to us today than to a Stegosaurus. This means he would be more likely to have encountered an iphone than an actual Stegosaurus.

fred binneys head

Got another one. On a timeline of Planet Earth the Tyrannosaurus Rex would be closer to us today than to a Stegosaurus. This means he would be more likely to have encountered an iphone than an actual Stegosaurus.
Wouldn't have been able to see it when he used it though. I imagine they would have sent each other trex messages.