• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
A general election announcement this evening...
"Boris Johnson has abandoned his “do or die” pledge to leave the EU by 31 October and will ask MPs to back a pre-Christmas general election next week."

My, I am surprised.

page 255, #2542 - Just sayin'

Grecian2K

Another question hat the pundits haven't even addressed yet is WHO IS GOING TO LEAD THE TORIES INTO THE NEXT ELECTION - given that, if the present incumbent is true to his word, they'll still be dragging his mortal remains from the promised ditch before campaigning has even started.
Doesn't give the 1822 committee a lot of time, not only to prepare a manifesto but also to inflict a new leader!

arthur

Slightly different outlook from me, but IMHO it was, is, and will be what happens at any time Brexit meets detail.

I mean, anyone with half an ounce knows that Boris's fake deadline wasn't about out manoeuvring the EU. I think he always knew he was going to pivot and sell out the DUP, he just hoped he could ram it through without scrutiny. Basically, without a ge, he's ******. And even with one, he hasn't necessarily got a solution.
EXACTLY. I sIaid as soon as he became PM that the obvious thing to do was go back to a NI only backstop, which is what the EU suggested in the first place, and swap 10 DUP votes for 20+ Labour ones. And if he'd got on and done that, he could have left on 31/10 without any drama or hissy fits. The man is a total arse - why anyone believes otherwise is totally beyond me.

tavyred

But this simply isn't true. Labour manifesto acknowledged the referendum, and they campaigned to leave on Norway ticket. That would have upheld the result of the ref.

To claim they stood on a carte blanche "leave the EU" platform is simply dishonest.
I don’t remember any Norway model being mooted by Labour, that would’ve kept FoM and continued contributions to the EU budget surely?
The only caveats on leaving I recall were not accepting a ‘no deal’ and the ambition of securing a customs ‘arrangement’ with the EU.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I don’t remember any Norway model being mooted by Labour, that would’ve kept FoM and continued contributions to the EU budget surely?
The only caveats on leaving I recall were not accepting a ‘no deal’ and the ambition of securing a customs ‘arrangement’ with the EU.
Probably because you chose to comment on it without bothering to read it.

tavyred

What part of that is the Norway model?

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Well, if you're not capable of figuring that much out, I'll not waste my time trying to explain.

Instead, go read up on it. You never know, you might actually learn something, rather than spouting meaningless sound bites, and then making yourself look daft.

arthur

Remember, not even the Norwegians recommend the Norway model. They adopted it because they had a referendum and there was a majority for leave so they chose this arrangement as the least worst option. Still, we're free to choose a greater worst option - happy days!

elginCity

Tomorrow could well see the final twist in this sorry tale; no EU extension proffered. Concentration of collective UK minds required, finally.

Juncker hands over the reins to his successor on Nov 1st, he'll want this mess cleared up once and for all by then, and although not his final decision, he does have influence. Nobody can say he didn't warn us.

DB9

Tomorrow could well see the final twist in this sorry tale; no EU extension proffered. Concentration of collective UK minds required, finally.

Juncker hands over the reins to his successor on Nov 1st, he'll want this mess cleared up once and for all by then, and although not his final decision, he does have influence. Nobody can say he didn't warn us.
It was either him or Tusk who said after the first extention "Don't waste this oppotunity" How'd that go?