• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought it was remainers who were supposed to live in a bubble, divorced from he real world.

Johnson couldn't run a bath....
Just because your view on BJ is wholly negative (some of it justified) doesn’t mean that it transfers to the rest of of the electorate, Boris doesn't have to impress you to win a workable majority, indeed he doesn’t really need to convince people that he can run the country particularly well, a combination of Brexit and the Corbyn factor IMO gets him a majority. Thatcher won three elections as the most divisive and hated PM in my lifetime, go figure.

tavyred

What is BJ's brand?
<sighs>
Ok then, let’s call it his notoriety.

DB9

Emily Thornberry last night just summed up Labour's fence sitting Brexit views, On QT last night she said Labour would get a deal from the EU then put it to the people but she would vote remain!! It maybe her personal view but she's a front bench spokesperson for the main opposition and said this on national TV!

IndoMike

<sighs>
Ok then, let’s call it his notoriety.
It was a fair question :)

IndoMike

200,000 people have registered to vote in the last 72 hours, Half under 35. With a possible election in the air it is good to see people engaged in politics especially now when it's so important whatever your views are
I reckon many of those will be non-Brexit. Young people like the idea of freedom and travel without hassle. They tend towards environmental and social issues.too: hardly Tory territory. The young 'uns will take power away from the Conservatives.

tavyred

Slightly tongue in cheek maybe but there is a serious point though you perhaps are more tolerant of our empire past than I. Ulster has no need to be controlled by the UK anymore. Truth is it really is part of Ireland but if that is too hard to swallow then complete devolution of powers with all Ulster MPs sitting in Stormont with no say in UK parliament. At the same time we could sort this monarchy rabble out. Far too many hangers on. What was it your beloved Moggy said about idle loafers?
Northern Ireland has always been part of Ireland, albeit under the auspices of British State. I think it might be best if we refer to Ulster as Northern Ireland, as someone who is in favour of Irish reunification I’m surprised you don’t know that part of Ulster is already in the Republic. Interesting also that you are no longer in favour of the Good Friday Agreement, an agreement struck that at its core recognised the right of the citizens of NI to be considered Irish or British and that there should be no change to the status of NI politically until the majority decide otherwise. Until that time as citizens of the U.K. their right to send MP’s to Westminster should remain, complete devolution as you call it does not end sending representatives to the U.K. parliament, even if it is the DUP.

Bittners a Legend

Just because your view on BJ is wholly negative (some of it justified) doesn’t mean that it transfers to the rest of of the electorate, Boris doesn't have to impress you to win a workable majority, indeed he doesn’t really need to convince people that he can run the country particularly well, a combination of Brexit and the Corbyn factor IMO gets him a majority. Thatcher won three elections as the most divisive and hated PM in my lifetime, go figure.
Brexit Party got 5.2m votes at the EU election. Tories and UKIP got another 2m. I think that is probably not far off everyone that will support a No Deal Brexit and is likely to turnout. Farage went very hard to get people out to vote. This election will be about Brexit whether Johnson likes it or no. I think it is a huge assumption to believe there is anywhere near enough others willing to support the Tory Party to get a 30-40 seat majority. Perhaps not in your eyes, but No Deal is now being seen as a bigger threat to the UK than Corbyn. Regardless of all the "chicken" headlines, why would Labour rush an election when they can claim to the party to have blocked No Deal, all the while this government exposes it huge levels of incompetence and crassness. Destined for another hung parliament I think. Referendum really might be the only way out of this.

arthur

Yup, this is the man who can unite the Tory Party and unite the Country. Thatcher was divisive and hated because she was good at her job, so comparisons with this abject failure are a tad misplaced

elginCity

Emily Thornberry last night just summed up Labour's fence sitting Brexit views, On QT last night she said Labour would get a deal from the EU then put it to the people but she would vote remain!! It maybe her personal view but she's a front bench spokesperson for the main opposition and said this on national TV!
Amazing how things are so easily twisted to suit a narrative. Negotiating the best ‘deal’ possible with the EU would never be as good as the current ‘deal’ as a member, and Thirnbeery proposed putting that choice to the people, and backing the obvious.

She was annoying though, and didn’t counter the contradiction assertion very well at all, in fact the whole show was Brexit personified...shambolic !

DB9

Amazing how things are so easily twisted to suit a narrative. Negotiating the best ‘deal’ possible with the EU would never be as good as the current ‘deal’ as a member, and Thirnbeery proposed putting that choice to the people, and backing the obvious.

She was annoying though, and didn’t counter the contradiction assertion very well at all, in fact the whole show was Brexit personified...shambolic !
As I said this is her own personal view but as a Labour front bench spokesperson it comes across as a confused answer, Saying we'll get the best deal but I'll vote remain in any second ref