• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Despite all that, it didn't stop TBP sweeping the board in the May EU elections. A lot of people really aren't that bothered about a No Deal scenario, some even want it above everything else.

If Corbyn now goes and logjams everything it is going to do him no favours at all.
But it's not just Corbyn, Jinxy. It's other parties, too, including several (rightly or wrongly) highly respected Tories. Many of us said it's one thing to crave power, but it's another to handle it. To be honest, the more coverage he gets the least appealing he looks. Like it or not, his body language is awful. Also, the constant accusation from other politicians and political observers is that he can't be trusted. I believe his electability will quickly wear off.

IndoMike

Reports from various sources that the UK’s now in recession. This is just the start.
This is a potential double whammy. Germany, Australia and many other countries are not doing well. Combined with BREXIT, we could get into financial trouble.

Mr Jinx

Not a vote loser but not enough I think to get a working majority as the Brexit vote was close and according to reports the % are still roughly the same
OK we shall see. As I have said many times: if the Tories can nullify or do a pact with TBP, then a majority is theirs. If they can't, your guess is as good as mine.

DB9

OK we shall see. As I have said many times: if the Tories can nullify or do a pact with TBP, then a majority is theirs. If they can't, your guess is as good as mine.
Remain Tories I think would vote Lib Dem, Leave Labour would vote TBP, Still not enough to have a proper working majority

arthur

The point I'm trying to make is that No Deal is not a vote loser.
It is true that a significant minority of the electorate think No Deal is a good or tolerable idea. I think you'll find that a larger proportion of the electorate consider it a bad idea, and that number will increase as the reality of what No Deal actually means (i.e. Brexit far from "finished, now we can move on") becomes apparent during the course of an election campaign. Plus the fact that Johnson is likely to disintegrate under pressure, so your vision of a bold leader sweeping all before him as he stands on the side of the "people" against the elite is more than a little fanciful. And that picture of Rees Mogg won't exactly aid your cause either... (this one's my favourite)

Alistair20000

It is true that a significant minority of the electorate think No Deal is a good or tolerable idea. I think you'll find that a larger proportion of the electorate consider it a bad idea, and that number will increase as the reality of what No Deal actually means (i.e. Brexit far from "finished, now we can move on") becomes apparent during the course of an election campaign. Plus the fact that Johnson is likely to disintegrate under pressure, so your vision of a bold leader sweeping all before him as he stands on the side of the "people" against the elite is more than a little fanciful. And that picture of Rees Mogg won't exactly aid your cause either... (this one's my favourite)

View attachment 1154

Morning art.

Yes that lounging on the Parliamentary benches looked feckin' dire to this particular curmudgeon's eye. (n)

Like your pic. Shall we call it: "Lie back and enjoy the tranquil waters of Brexit" ?

arthur

As I have said many times: if the Tories can nullify or do a pact with TBP, then a majority is theirs.
I know everything is very simple in Jinxland, but there are alternative scenarios, even if a deal is done with TBP:

The assumption is that [Dominic] Cummings is intentionally baiting MPs so that he can trigger an election that Boris Johnson will then cast as a populist battle of “people v parliament”.

If that’s right, it is surely the most high-risk electoral strategy ever attempted in this country. It knowingly alienates moderate Tory voters who have always quite liked, say, Ken Clarke, thereby writing off a string of seats – in the south and the West Country – that are likely to fall to the Liberal Democrats. It similarly dooms the Tories in Scotland. So Johnson will begin the next election campaign with that immediate handicap. The Cummings plan is to make up for those lost seats, and gain many more, by winning pro-leave seats in the Midlands and north of England, many of them Labour-held, chiefly by neutralising the Brexit party. Why vote for Nigel Farage when you can get a no-deal, full-monty Brexit with Johnson?

The trouble with that is, there are plenty of onetime Labour voters who were happy to vote leave in 2016, happy even to vote for Farage in May’s European elections, who may nevertheless baulk at voting Tory. Still, Cummings and Johnson are gambling on the belief that they can burn down every other plank of historic Tory support, but win power by delighting the hardcore Brexit base. Win the 35%, enrage everyone else.

A few weeks from now, we might be watching a triumphant Johnson returned to Downing Street with a healthy majority, forced to applaud the strategic genius of Dominic Cummings. Or we might marvel that a man who inherited a precarious political situation went on a rampage of revolutionary destruction, thereby making that situation much, much worse.

arthur

You have to hand it to Johnson - he's achieved one thing Theresa May never could; he's made Corbyn look competent...

Reactions: DB9

geoffwp

View attachment 1154
Haha. I never thought of the Moggy as another Ophelia, but if it means he's about to fek off to Denmark and jump in a river that's fine.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... still waiting for Rae to back up what she said a couple of weeks ago ...
You're probably in for quite a wait, could I get you a sandwich whilst you loiter?
It's comparatively rare for me to see a reply to any post I make. In a fast moving thread like this one, I simply have neither the energy nor the inclination to wade through the mire, back several pages, to whence I last peeked. Obviously, I ignore this new fangled system of 'notifications' for pretty much the same reason. So, I have no idea what you're waiting for.
I do admire your Great British bulldog tenacity though. Pip! Pip!