• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Temporarily Exiled

How can someone that has views like yours and Powell's (and I'm sure there's lots of them in the Civil service) do a good job of Brexit?
Give me one concrete example of civil service sabotage of Brexit. There are examples of Brexiter sabotage of civil service for sure, but the other way..?

These people are professionals. Think of it in the context of a footballer playing against their former team – do they hold back? Do they do anything but act in the best interest of their current team? Of course not. It's pretty low to suggest they would.

Also, where would this end? All the civil service need replacing if Corbyn wins because the current guys enacted Tory policies? Then if Corbyn gets overthrown the civil service is completely gutted once again as the next leader is anti-nationalisation? We're soon to be on our third PM since 2016, FFS. If the civil service had to heartily agree with every government policy not only would we be forcing out the best employees each time, anyone left would be stark raving mad.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
These people are professionals. Think of it in the context of a footballer playing against their former team – do they hold back? Do they do anything but act in the best interest of their current team? Of course not. It's pretty low to suggest they would.
Footballers playing against their old team cannot be compared to very senior civil servants convinced we're going to turn into Nazi Germany.

DB9

I think that most people here know what I stand for regarding the EU. Politically I stand a smidgen right of centre whereas George Galloway is probably to the left of everyone who posts on this thread - I think ;) I am aware he has said and done things that I abhor - his cozying up to Saddam Hussein for example - I'm ex-military ffs. However, he must have something to say that interests US and UK television and which you an I have so far failed to crack.

I posted that link because, according to Galloway and totally unknown to me, Sir Kim Darroch is something of a Blairite who spent four years at the heart of the EU, as British Permanent Representative to the EU - In short, he's a bought and paid for europhile which may explain the ire towards Galloway.
Regarding Galloway, When he went before some US committee he was asked how many times did he meet Saddam Hussein, He replied "Not as many times as Donald Rumsfeld" Who was a White House hawk and main instigator of the second Iraq war, Which I thought was a great reply

IndoMike

Farage's remarks earlier this week were full-on fascist, Nazi-esque. He's at the point now where he claims you can't be loyal to Britain if you're not in favour of Brexit. It's the classic 'split loyalties' rhetoric that's been used by anti-semites against Jews for centuries, and Farage is extremely comfortable using the same rhetoric against people he disagrees with.

He wants non-Brexiters sacked from the civil service and all branches of the military. The implication is you can't be trusted to be loyal to Britain if you're not pro-Brexit, and that you should have no position of power or influence, even on a small level (most civil servants have very little influence).

Be warned, this is a very dangerous man with very dangerous views.
He is a 3rd rate version of his hero, Trump.
"If you're not with me you are against me, and if you're against me you're a traitor and an enemy of the people".
Trump is constantly attacking US judicial institutions whilst embroiling the military.
"Trump is the USA".
This gang cannot yet be called "Nazi" but if they're not stopped they will become as authoritarian as they possibly can.
Yes, TE : they're dangerous.

IndoMike

Rudd is an interesting one. An ardent Remainer who's had a Damascene conversion? Pull the other one. But Boris may want her in the tent peeing out rather than the other way round. He'll have enough earache with Hammond sniping from the sidelines. Foreign Secretary though! Really?
Yes, Jinxy. My point was simply to highlight her lack of any principles. If we have no principles where does that leave us?

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
FFS. I've seen it all now. Jonathan Powell on This Week tonight comparing the current parliament to the Wiemar republic and Nigel Farage to Aldolf Hitler. Portillo with a good retort, but why would the Beeb even let Powell spout such böllocks in the first place.
I knew little about Powell until I read this. Apparently he declaring himself a Maoist at the ripe old age of 14.

Temporarily Exiled

I knew little about Powell until I read this. Apparently he declaring himself a Maoist at the ripe old age of 14.
If we had to stick to the political views we held at the age of 14 I think we'd be Venezuela by now. Try harder.

Mr Jinx

I knew little about Powell until I read this. [/URL]
In case you missed it last night, catch it here:

Jaw dropping. At least Neil tears him one...

Alistair20000

Rudd is an interesting one. An ardent Remainer who's had a Damascene conversion? Pull the other one. But Boris may want her in the tent peeing out rather than the other way round. He'll have enough earache with Hammond sniping from the sidelines. Foreign Secretary though! Really?
Never have liked Rudd.

If she is given the FO where does Boris put Jeremy The Hunt ?

tavyred

One of the many joys of Brexit has been the hilarious intellectual meltdown of people like Powell and the surprisingly small coterie of his ilk that inhabit the corridors of power In this country. Even if Brexit is indeed thwarted, they won’t ignore the little people with such relish in the future.