• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would you care to show detailed workings Geoffrey ? I am interested to see your analysis.
No I wouldn't.

Alistair20000

No I wouldn't.
I'm disappointed. :(

I was looking forward to reading reasoned debate between Blakey and yourself.

IndoMike

That is because whilst prior to the last year or so BJ seemed to cut a rather comic figure since he became PM he has proved all his detractors wrong. He has had the guts to take risks calling the election when he did (had he lost he could have ended up with the unenviable legacy of being the shortest tenant of No 10 in history) as it was he won with a handsome majority and delivered Brexit as he had promised to do.

Like Churchill he has his personality weaknesses but also like Churchill he is a leader who can galvanise people into action and quite frankly the rest are political pygmies which is why I think you will find no one has seriously suggested anyone.
:D :D

PS. I suggested Michael Gove.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Absolute utter tripe, complete twaddle and so far off the mark to be hilarious and all you can do is bang on about Brexit. I assume you haven't read elgin's post above, or you have and you've ignored it. I bet BJ could shag your aunty and you would still think the sun shines out of his areshole.
What a well written intelligent response....love your use of the Queen’s English too. Just for the record I have read Elgin’s post but I have a mind of my own and am totally comfortable with what I have written.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
:D :D

PS. I suggested Michael Gove.
Yes if push ever came to shove I would agree with you there.

IndoMike

That is because whilst prior to the last year or so BJ seemed to cut a rather comic figure since he became PM he has proved all his detractors wrong. He has had the guts to take risks calling the election when he did (had he lost he could have ended up with the unenviable legacy of being the shortest tenant of No 10 in history) as it was he won with a handsome majority and delivered Brexit as he had promised to do.

Like Churchill he has his personality weaknesses but also like Churchill he is a leader who can galvanise people into action and quite frankly the rest are political pygmies which is why I think you will find no one has seriously suggested anyone.
My God. Johnson has galvanised people into action? What planet do you live on?

Powis - the chief medical officer - has just said that if they can reduce the total number of deaths to 20,000 they will have done well. He says it will be a good result.

After 2 months they are taking the first step by starting to test NHS staff. Do you realize that at this time of year 10% of the population suffers from flu. Therefore, by
not testing, many NHS staff will be self-isolating for several days because they think that they have corona viru symptoms but in reality it might be a heavy cold or flu.

Finally, still no progress on the acquisition of PPE for medical staff. Still no definitive date of disbursement.

PS. I suggested Michael Gove as PM : permanently if possible. Anyone other than the negligent Johnson.

Rosencrantz

Boris is a good cheerleader in a campaign but doesn't have the authority or gravitas to lead in a crisis although he is trying his best. His time in isolation might actually do him some good because the daily briefings seemed to be getting to him the longer they went on. He looked tired, bored and restless at the podium, itching to throw in a gag or two. It really showed when he appeared alongside Sunak who has been impressive given his relative inexperience. There really is no comparison between Boris and Churchill in crisis leadership.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Excuse me, Stuffers , as a military historian you’ll remember the last time the UK stood alone and went to war against an invader, and with a Tory government in charge too, nearly 40 years ago, 8000 miles away ?

Stuffers, knowing what I know is capable of being delivered by the state, I weep when I think of 'Boris’ Boys and Girls' going into battle right now, the shedloads of young lasses, currently on the frontline, totally exposed to this invisible enemy, naked, and denied a basic shield. As a military man I’m really surprised you’re not raging too, this is beyond a scandal. Take your Brexit blinkers off, Stuffers, put your army helmet back on and tell me, honestly, that you’re satisfied with the performance of these Donkey Generals in charge of our lions and lionesses. Most of whom might well be laying low from the enemy right now, how do we know for sure that they're not ?
Thanks for that Elgy old friend - I had to stop halfway through for a coffee ;) Like most I've watched Boris' bumbling on TV and have been less than impressed (I've heard better militant Taffy/Jock conveners speaking outside the Austin Rover gates here in Swindon). However, like a ships captain taking his vessel through the Panama Canal he's heavily reliant on the pilots/advisers for expert guidance in order to accomplish the tasks set before him. Thatcher and Churchill sent the military to war but did not participate in its planning which was left initially to people like Portal, Alanbrooke and Sir Dudley Pound. Ultimately the buck stops with him whether the so-called planning experts let him down or not.

Who'd be your ideal replacement? ;)

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
My God. Johnson has galvanised people into action? What planet do you live on?

Powis - the chief medical officer - has just said that if they can reduce the total number of deaths to 20,000 they will have done well. He says it will be a good result.

After 2 months they are taking the first step by starting to test NHS staff. Do you realize that at this time of year 10% of the population suffers from flu. Therefore, by
not testing, many NHS staff will be self-isolating for several days because they think that they have corona viru symptoms but in reality it might be a heavy cold or flu.

Finally, still no progress on the acquisition of PPE for medical staff. Still no definitive date of disbursement.

PS. I suggested Michael Gove as PM : permanently if possible. Anyone other than the negligent Johnson.
Mike's gone for the rather forbidding Michael Gove.

geoffwp

What a well written intelligent response....love your use of the Queen’s English too. Just for the record I have read Elgin’s post but I have a mind of my own and am totally comfortable with what I have written.
I'm sow glad you fought it was well ritten cos I got a cse in inglish. Oh and sod the queen. She fekked off quick enuff.