• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
The name-calling has been pretty predictable from the predictable ever since this virus hit our shores Art. If anyone on these pages could assume the role of Kingmaker then who would they choose lead in these very troublesome times?

Being kind of mischievous I wonder if perhaps the answer to all our prayers sits on the front bench opposite. ;)
No no a thousand times No.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Cummings the Dalek.: "Exterminate. Exterminate".
If it has to be a Tory, please not Raab. The bloke looks like he's been hypnotised by a zombie
Michael Gove is a kant but he is one of the few front benchers with any sort of brain.

Last edited:

geoffwp

Yeh, a brain like a zombie. He couldn't even manage a first at uni. We didn't call him the mud skipper for nothing in schools.

Alistair20000

Mad Nad Dorries has recovered from the virus ....apparently.... and could take charge. Is she still a carrier though who has infected the upper echelons of the Cabinet with a view to self advancement ? :unsure:

elginCity

The name-calling has been pretty predictable from the predictable ever since this virus hit our shores Art. If anyone on these pages could assume the role of Kingmaker then who would they choose lead in these very troublesome times?
Being kind of mischievous I wonder if perhaps the answer to all our prayers sits on the front bench opposite. ;)
Excuse me, Stuffers , as a military historian you’ll remember the last time the UK stood alone and went to war against an invader, and with a Tory government in charge too, nearly 40 years ago, 8000 miles away ?

Coronavirus is a different kind of war, granted, but the basic principles of warfare still apply, and there are parallels.

In 1982 the Royal Navy, like the NHS has been recently, was being cut to the bone. John Nott, Defence Sec was on course to mothball 2 carriers and the Endurance was being recalled from the South Atlantic. Intel suggested something was afoot down there at the end of January that year, I know, because I was recalled by my unit from Germany but not told the reason why before being sent south. Contrary to this current invasion, the threat of invasion then was by no means certain, there’d been six years of occasional sabre-rattling by the right wing Junta, but nothing actually ever came of it. There was absolutely no certainty, as there was this time.The reality came with the Argentine invasion on 2 April, and a large Task Force sailed on the 5 April within 48 hours. 48 hours. You’ll know far better than most, the planning, logistics, hardware, ammunition, navigation, manpower, diplomacy, communications, command and control issues involved in such a massive military operation, so much to be resolved and coordinated. It was pretty awesome to witness the levers of a Tory government being pulled into action so speedily, so timely and so efficiently, all backing ‘Maggie’s Boys.’

“First Sea Lord – what precisely is it that you want ?”

“Authority to form a task force, which would be ready to sail at a moment’s notice”

“You have it.”

Obviously, there were inevitable problems, these were generally overcome, but most importantly, the front line troops were given more than adequate tools and protection to fight. It was a given, perceived as a right, and something that we all took for granted at that time, aside the usual occasional equipment moans. The government made sure it delivered our kit before the fighting started.

I hope you’ll have a better understanding now of my increasing frustration watching this ongoing invasion response. Despite intel forewarnings of its advance on our shores, months ago, watching the war unfold abroad, ignoring the opportunity to learn lessons from the data, ignoring best qualified global advice, direction and tactics (WHO etc) and even after the invader had actually landed on our shores; the leadership taking it all so dangerously lightly; “let’s take it on the chin, let’s all shake hands” - allow the enemy to advance on the herd FFS! The reckless time-wasting, the ill-preparedness, the poor planning, the u-turns on ill-advised strategy and tactics, refusal of advantageous and timely procurement with partners on ideological grounds. But most of all, most of all, the regular proven and wilful lies delivered at briefings. Absolutely repellent and abhorrent behaviour, a total failure of leadership for any serviceman, and you'll know that.

Stuffers, knowing what I know is capable of being delivered by the state, I weep when I think of 'Boris’ Boys and Girls' going into battle right now, the shedloads of young lasses, currently on the frontline, totally exposed to this invisible enemy, naked, and denied a basic shield. As a military man I’m really surprised you’re not raging too, this is beyond a scandal. Take your Brexit blinkers off, Stuffers, put your army helmet back on and tell me, honestly, that you’re satisfied with the performance of these Donkey Generals in charge of our lions and lionesses. Most of whom might well be laying low from the enemy right now, how do we know for sure that they're not ?

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
No no a thousand times No.
despite of a bit of bluster our cerebral politico-pickers have yet to come up with a name. Cripes! :unsure: ;)

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
despite of a bit of bluster our cerebral politico-pickers have yet to come up with a name. Cripes! :unsure: ;)
That is because whilst prior to the last year or so BJ seemed to cut a rather comic figure since he became PM he has proved all his detractors wrong. He has had the guts to take risks calling the election when he did (had he lost he could have ended up with the unenviable legacy of being the shortest tenant of No 10 in history) as it was he won with a handsome majority and delivered Brexit as he had promised to do.

Like Churchill he has his personality weaknesses but also like Churchill he is a leader who can galvanise people into action and quite frankly the rest are political pygmies which is why I think you will find no one has seriously suggested anyone.

geoffwp

That is because whilst prior to the last year or so BJ seemed to cut a rather comic figure since he became PM he has proved all his detractors wrong. He has had the guts to take risks calling the election when he did (had he lost he could have ended up with the unenviable legacy of being the shortest tenant of No 10 in history) as it was he won with a handsome majority and delivered Brexit as he had promised to do.

Like Churchill he has his personality weaknesses but also like Churchill he is a leader who can galvanise people into action and quite frankly the rest are political pygmies which is why I think you will find no one has seriously suggested anyone.
Absolute utter tripe, complete twaddle and so far off the mark to be hilarious and all you can do is bang on about Brexit. I assume you haven't read elgin's post above, or you have and you've ignored it. I bet BJ could shag your aunty and you would still think the sun shines out of his areshole.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Absolute utter tripe, complete twaddle and so far off the mark to be hilarious and all you can do is bang on about Brexit.

Would you care to show detailed workings Geoffrey ? I am interested to see your analysis.

manc grecian

Can't believe Les has given up on exeweb to run the country