• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who has been suggesting Boris J is a second Churchill ?

No suggestion of that in his broadcast last week.
I can't be bothered to check back. Didn't you say something about hoping he wouldn't try to be Churchillian, or was it me?

IndoMike

Anyway, I've been more concerned about what he does (or doesn't do) not what he says and how he says it. We've needed action the last 2 months, not just talk and unkept promises

IndoMike

I fully agree that Churchill was the right man for the job when he took over from Chamberlain. However, he wasn't altogether popular as Chamberlain himself found out when he found himself seated between the Queen and the Duchess of Kent at a Buckingham Palace dinner party. Apparently both ladies spent the evening urging him, in no uncertain terms, not to bring Winston Churchill into the government. The Queen was one of many powerful people who loathed Churchill at the time. Incidently it was Winston who badgered Chamberlain to get involved in the Norway fiasco even though the British Army lacked ski troops.The biggest let-down was that our French comrades turned up with their skis over their shoulders but no straps to fasten them to their feet rendering them totally useless. Still, that planning wasn't Winston or Chamberlain's fault.
Just to politely respond to your post.: Churchill called a spade a spade,thus presumably upsetting some of the elite who didn't like to be in anyway criticised.
And I find it hard that as the war progressed the Royal Family didn't grow to appreciate him.very much. My understanding is that he had a pretty close relationship with King George.
Yes : Norway was a fiasco. If I'm not mistaken it was a diversionary military expedition that backfired. Many lost their lives. Unfortunately in war there are casualties. But in the early years of war especially he carried a huge burden and he probably needed a few stiff drinks to get through it.
I have total respect for Churchill : he even flew to the USA if I'm not mistaken when he was in ill health to.meet Roosevelt. Must have been a strenuous flight.
Johnson delegates responsibility but chooses the wrong people to delegate it too. His science experts went against the grain by choosing a strategy which flew in the face of the experience of China and S Korea : this because our scientists are "the best in the world" His cabinet is composed of weak and incompetent ministers : the stronger characters he kicked out.
Academically Johnson is smart, but the problem is the flaws in his character.

arthur

Churchil as an anti elitist? Wasn't he born in Blenheim Palace? Still, he's in good company with his fellow anti elitists Johnson, Rees Mogg and Farage.

This comparison of Johnson with Churchill comes mainly from Johnson himself.

arthur

Being kind of mischievous I wonder if perhaps the answer to all our prayers sits on the front bench opposite. ;)
Sorry I'm late. I assume you're referring to Dianne Abbott..

IndoMike

Churchil as an anti elitist? Wasn't he born in Blenheim Palace? Still, he's in good company with his fellow anti elitists Johnson, Rees Mogg and Farage.

This comparison of Johnson with Churchill comes mainly from Johnson himself.
I didn't say he was anti-elitist.

Alistair20000

I can't be bothered to check back. Didn't you say something about hoping he wouldn't try to be Churchillian, or was it me?
I posted that I hoped he would not try to play Churchill. He did not as it turned out.

IndoMike

I posted that I hoped he would not try to play Churchill. He did not as it turned out.
That's right . I was just pointing out that the conversation developed from the point you made, as happens on Exeweb. I didn't say you had compared them. Let's face it : there is no comparison

I see Johnson is polling at 70% for the people's opinion on how he is dealing with the virus. Seems like he can do no wrong with the Brits. A bit like Trump in the US.
I'm truly fascinated by these stats. I just don't get why he is popular or considered competent.

arthur

I see Johnson is polling at 70% for the people's opinion on how he is dealing with the virus. Seems like he can do no wrong with the Brits. A bit like Trump in the US.
I'm truly fascinated by these stats. I just don't get why he is popular or considered competent.
Mr Rawnsley can explain

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just to politely respond to your post.: Churchill called a spade a spade,thus presumably upsetting some of the elite who didn't like to be in anyway criticised.
And I find it hard that as the war progressed the Royal Family didn't grow to appreciate him.very much. My understanding is that he had a pretty close relationship with King George.
Thank you for your politness Michael. May I draw your attention to your remark: "I find it hard that as the war progressed the Royal family didn't grow to appreciate him." I'm sure you are right if you check my post #10,977 where I said: The Queen was one of many powerful people who loathed Churchill *at the time.*

I've mentioned before that Winston infuriated the Royal Navy when he had the oppotunistic Mountbatten promoted from a bog standard destroyer captain to the rank of vice admiral. All this because he arsed licked Edward VIII before turning his attention to George VI on the formers abdication. How those superb admirals like Max Horton, Bruce Fraser, James Somerville and "ABC" Cunningham must have loved that.

Another who had a sort of love/hate relationship with Churchill (and others) was Field Marshall Alanbrooke who was described as the best 'Chief of the Imperial General Staff' the country ever had. The link I've added in long but fascinating..