• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Plymouth Argyle vs Exeter City matchday thread

nick_exmouth

I thought keepers were allowed to move along the goal-line these days, just not forwards before a penalty kick is taken?
Correct, perhaps if he was watching the goalie, he could have put it in the other corner?

ECFC Music

I thought keepers were allowed to move along the goal-line these days, just not forwards before a penalty kick is taken?
Yes they are but if you look again he also moved forwards off his line which is not allowed.

Matt Russell

The cup is a total waste of time to fans such as myself and a significant majority of ECFC fans judging by the attendances compared to league games
A thoughtful response - thanks.
What puzzles me is if you accept, as you seem to, that it is a useful exercise for players etc, you think that it's a total waste of time as per the quote here. Are you not interested in seeing "tomorrow's players" or the development of those less utilised today? We are in the process of developing tomorrow's supporters (Junior Grecians) why not the players and those that will follow them also?

Last edited by a moderator:

Legohead

Banned
What puzzles me is if you accept, as you seem to, that it is a useful exercise for players etc, you think that it's a total waste of time as per the quote here. Are you not interested in seeing "tomorrow's players" or the development of those less utilised today? We are in the process of developing tomorrow's supporters (Junior Grecians) why not the players and those that will follow them also?
Fair points Matt. I am indeed interested in seeing players come through the ranks at SJP and the Checkatrade is an ideal opportunity to help with this but i suppose i'm looking at the competition from a purely selfish perspective. I find the current revised format disengaging from a spectators point of view and also it's just another example of football bureaucrats tinkering with something that barely worked in the first instance and only succeed in making it less interesting as a concept if that makes sense? There is almost an air or amateurishness, unprofessionalism and apathy about the games and they are more akin to pre-season friendlies or reserve games than to actual competitive, committed fixtures and the lack of atmosphere around the grounds are testament to this.

When you consider that fans make enough sacrifices as it is to go and watch league games then i believe that the Checkatrade is just that bit too much. Quite simply, it's not worth the time and money for most fans.

I do accept however that they serve a valuable purpose for the reasons you have set out regarding the development of players.

If they reverted back to the original format then (if i lived locally of course) i would consider attending some games. I've been to some games near where i live involving Mansfield and Chesterfield and it's not the worst thing you could be doing of an evening. The revamping though has just killed the competition stone dead for me. Imagine going to see Exeter at Wembley in the final against Stoke U23's. It would be bizarre.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
We can do that better by going to Tavistock next week for the Devon Bowl, or The games in the Premier League Cup, or the FA Youth Cup. In all of these you will see our youngsters and not have to worry about a competition which the club voted against due to its limiting criteria and the introduction of Premier League B sides.

PeteUSA

Yes they are but if you look again he also moved forwards off his line which is not allowed.
I agree, moving forward is not allowed, but keepers at the highest levels generally pinch three or four feet before the ball is struck. The linesman is generally in charge of that, and its not easy keeping your eye on the penalty taker and the keeper at the same time. Its a lot easier to spot player encroachment, when theres generally six or more players inside the box (and arc) before the ball is struck.

Red Bill

We can do that better by going to Tavistock next week for the Devon Bowl, or The games in the Premier League Cup, or the FA Youth Cup. In all of these you will see our youngsters and not have to worry about a competition which the club voted against due to its limiting criteria and the introduction of Premier League B sides.
I think the club voted in favour actually. None the less any draw it had for me disappeared when they messed with the format, and as you say there are other ways to see the up and coming youngsters.

IndoMike

Politically this Cup is annoying, because it's clearly designed to help Premier League clubs, not the minnows. However, the Argyle game did provide a useful run-out for the likes of Jay, Edwards, Sparkes ++. So you pays your money you takes your choice.

DanceMagnet

Politically this Cup is annoying, because it's clearly designed to help Premier League clubs, not the minnows. However, the Argyle game did provide a useful run-out for the likes of Jay, Edwards, Sparkes ++. So you pays your money you takes your choice.
I thought it was more about supporting young English/British players at PL clubs, providing competitive games to promote their development. For me, that is a lame excuse for not imposing limitations on the number of foreign players in the Premier****e. We have seen over the past year that England has some of the best young players in the world. Unfortunately, they're never allowed to develop further by getting game time in the Prem. For those reasons, I'm out.

Last edited:

Spoonz Red E

Last edited: