• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

My New Football Club Podcast

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
In all seriousness, its great that the pod has resulted in other fans across the country having a new interest in City, with them becoming a second team for many of them. I think we should indeed get David & Jon to encourage listeners to join the trust and pay £2 a month, so they they can say they own part of a football club.
@DavidEarl maybe we could have a pod target of 1,000 new trust members!?
Disagree. Just let David and Jon do their podcast, it's not their job to drum up business for the club, that's what ECFC employ a commercial team for.

Fans are taking an interest in ECFC already, let's just be thankful for that publicity rather than put KPI's on the podcast.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Jon does Nombe a massive disservice during the phone in. Sam Nombe always left everything out on the pitch and that is the main reason I thought so highly of him, if ever I'd had the honour to play for City -even if I was the worst player to ever pull on the shirt- I would have run my lungs out for the cause and loved every second of it. That is what Nombe did. I saw his last appearance for us, he got about 20 minutes as a sub, one of the first things his did was chase the keeper down, dispossess him and roll the chance narrowly wide. That is not a player who has downed tools. I didn't see a fit Sam Nombe ever not give his all.

I would like Nombe to go onto your pod @DavidEarl, not because of what Jon said but because he was an integral part of a successful City side and who gave us some great moments.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Jon does Nombe a massive disservice during the phone in. Sam Nombe always left everything out on the pitch and that is the main reason I thought so highly of him, if ever I'd had the honour to play for City -even if I was the worst player to ever pull on the shirt- I would have run my lungs out for the cause and loved every second of it. That is what Nombe did. I saw his last appearance for us, he got about 20 minutes as a sub, one of the first things his did was chase the keeper down, dispossess him and roll the chance narrowly wide. That is not a player who has downed tools. I didn't see a fit Sam Nombe ever not give his all.

I would like Nombe to go onto your pod @DavidEarl, not because of what Jon said but because he was an integral part of a successful City side and who gave us some great moments.
I recall an interview Nombe gave last season where he said GC was asking him to play in a different way to his usual game and I think this maybe where the perception that he wasn't trying as hard comes from. Nombe's strengths (chasing down long balls / defenders in wide areas) didn't seem to fit with GC wanting us to have more control and progress into the attacking third in possession rather than out of possession.

Maybe that's part of the reason Nombe wanted to leave, we'll probably never know. I'm not sure Jon was being disparaging about Nombe's effort on the pitch and instead was making the point that retaining him beyond the end of the window when he had an opportunity to leave, combined with a frustration that he could no longer play his natural game, might mean that his effort levels wane over the season?

Boyo

Nombe wanted to leave because he had the opportunity to play at a higher level and more than double his money on a longer contract. No-one is saying he didn't ever give 100% to ECFC.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jon said at Wycombe Nombe did half his normal amount of running showing that he didn't want to be here.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nombe's last goal for us was in March. We really just need to move on.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jon said at Wycombe Nombe did half his normal amount of running showing that he didn't want to be here.
In Jon's defence, a lot of us were saying that Nombe seemed different since the second half of last season.

A lot of Exewebbers jumped down our throats but there was a marked difference with regards to his general demeanour rather than his work rate.

I've never questioned his work rate, but I have questioned his willingness to be at the club.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nombe's last goal for us was in March. We really just need to move on.
I get that but we're discussing what was said on the podcast.

Bridgy - don't worry about listening as this only increases revenue for Jon & David (and probably the other guy I can't remember) and this thread is thread has been hijacked for funding their exploits.
PS To David - what would be nice is to learn that a proportion of your podcast income goes to the ECFC Supporters Trust ?
He is a member of the trust and has a ST.

Grecianman135

In Jon's defence, a lot of us were saying that Nombe seemed different since the second half of last season.

A lot of Exewebbers jumped down our throats but there was a marked difference with regards to his general demeanour rather than his work rate.

I've never questioned his work rate, but I have questioned his willingness to be at the club.
He wasn't one of Gary's boys so Gary may have helped pay for the taxi to Rotherham is all I'm saying...