• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Leeds pitch invasion

city_is_my_life

How effective are these banning orders? How easy would it be for the same kid and his dad to get into SJP for the home game?

Anyone here have experience of this?
My gut feeling would be that they are pretty easy to get round. You would have to be recognised and in a crowd of several thousand then this would not be that easy.

I think that there are different types of banning order as well. Some are just bans from a single club, others are a ban from every ground in that league and some are bans from all league grounds.

CIML

Well-known Exeweb poster
I got 'banned' from chelsea, back in the days of the second div. was in a mates hospitality suite, and totally totally bladdered, post match I went a nicked a ball, grabbed a couple of younger kids. went and scored in both ends. Bates rang my mate up and banned me !!! lol
Ive not been back or wanted to go back since though, but im sure I could but it was a long time ago.

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
My gut feeling would be that they are pretty easy to get round. You would have to be recognised and in a crowd of several thousand then this would not be that easy.

I think that there are different types of banning order as well. Some are just bans from a single club, others are a ban from every ground in that league and some are bans from all league grounds.

CIML
It depends who enforces the ban, they generally fall into 3 categories:

A club can ban any person they wish from there own ground, for any length of time, as the ground is private property. The same way a landlord can ban somone from his pub. Clubs have no right to ban anyone from any ground other than their own.

A police force can bring civil proceedings against an individual. The court has to be satisfied that the defendant has contributed to violence/disorder related to football in the past, and a banning order will prevent violence/disorder in the future. The duration of these bans can be from 2 to 3 years.

On conviction of any offence related to a regulated football match, the court has to impose a banning order with a minimum of 3 years (or 6 years if a custodial sentence is imposed) and a maximum of 10 years. If a court does not impose a banning order, then they have to state the specific reasons why.

For the last two categories, the banning order covers all regulated matches - which is any game that involves a team that is a member of The Premier League, The Football League, The Football Conference (incl. North/South divisions) and The League of Wales - and Internationals as well. Breaching one of these orders is a criminal offence, punishable by upto 6 months custody. They can also have other restrictions on them, such as an exclusion zone round some grounds at certain times (i.e. Not to go within a mile of the ground 4 hours before or after kick off).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
There was the case in Scotland many years back of someone who wasn't banned, but had to report to his local nick at about 2:45 and 5:00 every Saturday. He figured he could go, sign in, dash to the match and back in time to sign in again.

He hadn't reckoned on the Desk Sergeant, who was always "too busy" to see him until about 4:50 every time!

Borat

From what I understand a few City fans barely entered the pitch and get a 3 year ban....while a young child runs around the pitch holding up play gets a 1 year ban?!

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
also heard some of your lads that were on the pitch got 3 year banning orders which seems a bit harsh.
Sure does - means they'll miss the next two seasons' meetings between our clubs ;)

Oh, PS: Does anyone at the club know if the 2,000+ banning orders from the Don Valley have come through yet? ;) ;)

Last edited:

Jimmydee

I got banned for 9 months in 1993 after the Port Vale referee attack, but still went to 10+ games up to march when i was 'allowed' back in.
Just stood in a different part of the ground.

DanceMagnet

If bans are the appropriate punishment, I think fans should receive the same punishment irrespective of age.

Wouldn't a coach or manager likely get sent off and a possible three match ban for entering the field of play. Seems like a bit of a contrast to me. Maybe, Jose Mourinho should have had a 3 year ban while at Chelsea.

DM

OAKY WHITE

Sure does - means they'll miss the next two seasons' meetings between our clubs ;)

Oh, PS: Does anyone at the club know if the 2,000+ banning orders from the Don Valley have come through yet? ;) ;)
Can't see us both getting promoted ;)

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can't see us both getting promoted ;)
Once perhaps,but not two years running...;)