• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

John Challinor - Odds

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
One of the few times I've agreed with Jay. Was really sad to see him go, but I'd rather look forward now than back. If we're going to pull players out of non-league I'd rather have young ones with a (potential) future rather than old ones with a (however good) past.
Exactly......

crocks

Mind you.....we could sing the Chall la la song again.....and I am sure that my dear wife wouldnt mind him back at the park. :)

Grecian_Jay

Go back 3 years ago and you could apply that logic to a fair number of the squad that just finished 8th in League 1. Jamie Cureton was heading towards nothing this time last season but look what happened there.
Jamie Cureton had spent the whole of his career in the football league and was clearly a quality striker. Challinor is a non-league journeyman footballer who did well for us for a couple seasons.

Time to move on.

PeteUSA

If he was good enough, he wouldn't be playing for Kettering.

IMHO.
Nothing wrong with Kettering. Tommy Lawton played for Kettering.

FAN-TATIC

Nothing wrong with Kettering. Tommy Lawton played for Kettering.
Bloody hell Pete, how far back are you prepared to go!

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whatever he says now Challinor kept us waiting for ages for his signature unsettling the squad with the belief that he could better than play for us. Since then he's dropped through many lower league teams we can only guess why.
My guess would be that he has yet to find a club that knows the best position to play him in.

LammieLammieLammie

My guess would be that he has yet to find a club that knows the best position to play him in.
:D Tend to agree. Do you think that says more about Jon, or more about managers? I honestly don't know.

LOG

:D Tend to agree. Do you think that says more about Jon, or more about managers? I honestly don't know.
I think it's a bit of both. I was never a great fan of his as i always got the impression that he thought he could play however he wanted to, but he simply wasn't good enough to fill that role; even at conference level, you need to be head and shoulders above the rest of the team to be able to pull that off.

On the other hand, you could point to the manager for not, well, managing him.

A player of ability, no doubt, but ability that was never fully realised.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Talented footballer. Complete enigma. As Lionel has pointed out, when AI gave JC a free role, it was obvious that he couldn't do everything on his own.

I think he needed more licence than that, to be allowed to go back to the changing room and have a nice cup of tea with his feet up when he felt the need, while the rest of the team played on and then burst back onto the pitch out wide, or in the hole, or in the centre of the pitch, or up front as the mood took him.

I'm not sure how you would have communicated that to the rest of the team, though.

Legend.

Closure.

i8cornwall

umm thanks but no thanks