• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January shopping list - what are the priorities?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I Forte we had another striker on 6 goals this season.
Forte has scored 4 in the league and 3 in the Checkatrade.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think the overall squad is fine. We have loads of midfielders, we just haven't sussed the best combination in my view, when Boateng is out. That's possibly a coaching thing rather than new additions. I think Moxey is still plenty good enough for this division at LB, but possibly strengthen there as his best days are behind him ?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree , but having somebody able to replace him or provide a few goals more would help - our 2nd top scorer has 4 and is a right back.
As others have said Forte has 7 goals in all comps, including 4 in the league so I’m pretty happy with our forward options especially as Abrahams is looking better each game too.

In an ideal world I’d like us to get a midfielder who’s an upgrade on Tillson, and can pass as well as protect the back four. That said I do think a tweak to the system will see us with a far more effective midfield and hoping Boateng will be able to play the final 20 games of the season.

And getting Ogbene and O’Shea for the rest of the season is also a priority.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the overall squad is fine. We have loads of midfielders, we just haven't sussed the best combination in my view, when Boateng is out. That's possibly a coaching thing rather than new additions. I think Moxey is still plenty good enough for this division at LB, but possibly strengthen there as his best days are behind him ?
We have 4 players in the squad capable of playing left-back so it seems hard to justify signing another one in January.

manc grecian

Player that can pass as well as tackle in centre mid is the obvious priority. I to would like a more attacking, younger option at LB but think this will have to wait until the summer due to what Taylor was left with.

Andy Holloway

A new washing machine in the January Sales?

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Back up keeper for Pym would be handy as IMO Hamon isn’t great back-up

IndoMike

We have 4 players in the squad capable of playing left-back so it seems hard to justify signing another one in January.
I'm not sure if all four are capable at left back, and we need a bit more than capable, anyway. We have got done on our left defensive side more than once this season : Moxey, Woodman and Croll aren't fast enough, agile enough or young to cover the wide open spaces we leave down that side. However, I agree it would be better to wait and choose carefully in the summer break : but we will be exposed down that flank until then.

scottus86

Scott Golbourne is currently on a free transfer. Does he still have it in him at 30 years old?

sign of the chimes

If you're after a central midfielder then I reckon our Danny Rose* will be available in January - given he's had one start this season in the league and isn't making matchday squads at the moment (he's out of contract in the summer). He's had three promotions out of L2 in the last five years or so (Oxford, Northampton, and us) - and has roots in the South West.

*stipulated ours as this seems to be quite a common name for professional footballers.