• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January shopping list - what are the priorities?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
If you're after a central midfielder then I reckon our Danny Rose* will be available in January - given he's had one start this season in the league and isn't making matchday squads at the moment (he's out of contract in the summer). He's had three promotions out of L2 in the last five years or so (Oxford, Northampton, and us) - and has roots in the South West.

*stipulated ours as this seems to be quite a common name for professional footballers.
Broke his leg in January 2018 - played in few games since. Due respect to your player but I prefer us to sign someone who is not recovering from serious injury : we've been through that before many times under Tisdale. However, it is true that we signed Aaron Martin after his long injury and he has been a star.

sign of the chimes

Fair enough Indo, 'twas no more than a suggestion given the posts suggesting centre mid was a position you might be looking to strengthen in.

To be fair to Rose, he's recovered from his injury. He's been fit since pre-season but has just found himself well down the pecking order since we upgraded in the summer with two players in his position who'd been plying their trade in the division above last season. There are at least another two in front of him after that, as well. He had a few offers from L2 in August but wanted to try and get his place back in the Pompey team, however I suspect we'll be willing to let him go in January and he'll have to start thinking about his next move as he won't get an extension from us in the summer. I've a feeling he'd go in your direction geographically if the offer was there (even for a bit less cash) rather than head upcountry.

He has played about 350 games over the last 10 years so not a sicknote by any stretch.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Scott Golbourne is currently on a free transfer. Does he still have it in him at 30 years old?
Can’t imagine we would get anywhere near his wages

scottus86

Perhaps, but he may need to lower his demands if no one is offering him a contract. 6 months without work and counting, he could find himseld in nonleague obscurity if he doesn't get something soon.

Red Bill

Can’t imagine we would get anywhere near his wages
Well his wages at present are zero so i'm pretty sure we could improve on that!

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Well his wages at present are zero so i'm pretty sure we could improve on that!
Naturally, but I’d imagine he would still be looking at higher end league 1 wages than mid table league 2 budgets

Colesman Ballz

Why don't we just sign a whole team of 30 something left backs and be done with it ? It's plain nuts ! If to placate the exeweb masses we must go out and sign a former player, then why not CRL from Truro, at least he's still got his best years ahead of him.

IndoMike

Fair enough Indo, 'twas no more than a suggestion given the posts suggesting centre mid was a position you might be looking to strengthen in.

To be fair to Rose, he's recovered from his injury. He's been fit since pre-season but has just found himself well down the pecking order since we upgraded in the summer with two players in his position who'd been plying their trade in the division above last season. There are at least another two in front of him after that, as well. He had a few offers from L2 in August but wanted to try and get his place back in the Pompey team, however I suspect we'll be willing to let him go in January and he'll have to start thinking about his next move as he won't get an extension from us in the summer. I've a feeling he'd go in your direction geographically if the offer was there (even for a bit less cash) rather than head upcountry.

He has played about 350 games over the last 10 years so not a sicknote by any stretch.
And fair enough for your comment, too. It's just that some of us are a bit wary about signing someone who's been injured and missed so many matches. Having said that, hope the bloke gets fixed up and proves that he can still do the biz.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
And fair enough for your comment, too. It's just that some of us are a bit wary about signing someone who's been injured and missed so many matches. Having said that, hope the bloke gets fixed up and proves that he can still do the biz.
When we played Oxford at the Kassam a few seasons back, he was head and shoulders above the others in terms of talent. Easily man of the match.

CC

Ashley Cole just been released by LA Galaxy, only 37...