• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January shopping list - what are the priorities?

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'd like to changes to our midfield, the roles are o.k. it's just that there is little creativity there and very little passing ability. Without Boateng only Holmes is capable of turning defence into attack and he's likely to go down at any moment with an injury. Up front I think we're o.k. Abrahams, Stockley and Forte, would wonder where are goals are going to come from without Stockley though.

grecIAN Harris

What we need is a Matt Gill type of midfielder. Somebody who can stick a boot in, do the ugly side of things but still know what to do with the ball when he gets it. Tilly can do the ugly stuff but is clueless once he gets the ball. Taylor can't do the role and you wouldn't waste either Boateng or Law in the holding role. The other thing we need is a left back with a bit of youth on his side. Neither Deano or Woody have got the legs to provide the support to whoever is playing wide on the left or if Matt Taylor decides he wants to play either wing backs or the 3-5-2 he played against Blackpool in the cup.

Stelios

What we need is a Matt Gill type of midfielder. Somebody who can stick a boot in, do the ugly side of things but still know what to do with the ball when he gets it. Tilly can do the ugly stuff but is clueless once he gets the ball. Taylor can't do the role and you wouldn't waste either Boateng or Law in the holding role. The other thing we need is a left back with a bit of youth on his side. Neither Deano or Woody have got the legs to provide the support to whoever is playing wide on the left or if Matt Taylor decides he wants to play either wing backs or the 3-5-2 he played against Blackpool in the cup.
Agree. All about the midfield for me.

I hope we keep our loanees all season. Strange that Lee Martin admitted to finding things a bit difficult out wide because he'd been used to playing in the centre. Maybe there is a role for him there? (I can't see it myself but he obviously has been good there in the past). Don't really see how/where he could play in the middle.

Red Devon

Still think there’s improvements to come from within the squad...Lee Martin would be like a new signing if only he could find his undoubted class and form and it’s won’t be long before Archie Collins cements his place in the side, Abrahams is another one worth keeping an eye on by the way he’s improving...personally I’d like another centre half with the calibre of Aaron Martin and the glaringly obvious defensive midfielder to replace Tilson.

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Somebody to take the burden off Stockley because Without him we’re mid table

andrew p long

First thing is to secure O’Shea and Ogbene for the rest of the season (Abrahams is already on a season long loan)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Somebody to take the burden off Stockley because Without him we’re mid table
Most teams would struggle without their main striker. In league 2 you dont get 2 Stockleys in one side.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Most teams would struggle without their main striker. In league 2 you dont get 2 Stockleys in one side.
I agree , but having somebody able to replace him or provide a few goals more would help - our 2nd top scorer has 4 and is a right back.

scottus86

I agree , but having somebody able to replace him or provide a few goals more would help - our 2nd top scorer has 4 and is a right back.
I Forte we had another striker on 6 goals this season.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well, we have both Archie Collins and Alex Hartridge in the squad who fit those descriptions. Whether or not they are good enough I don't know but I would like to see them given a chance before we sign anyone else.