• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is there something wrong or not quite right?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Instead of loaning all these players out, wouldn't we benefit more by having our own side in the Peninsular/Western League or are we restricted by progression within the pyramid set up.
Argyle did this a while a go and had to start in the Peninsula League at the bottom rung which was a bit of a waste of time. Remember the days of City "A" side in the D&E Prem? We ended that when the U18'S league was set up in the 90's as they play on the same day. Argyle pulled pulled out of the Peninsula in 2019.

I don't think loaning u18 players who are ready for the men's game is an issue really, particularly as they are generally going to Southern League teams which is a good standard. But if they are going to be playing on a Saturday for their loan clubs, it doesn't leave many u18's to play in the youth team on a Saturday morning meaning we have more of an u17's side playing u18's. Hence why the results look like they have dipped. This however doesn't mean that the development of those players have dipped. It might be advancing them quicker which is what Matt wanted. It's just too early to say as it is the first year. At the end of the day, it's how many you can bring through which is the measure of success, not necessarily results. Being in the Peninsula League wouldn't change the above for the u18's but those who play would be at a lower level than their current loan clubs which seems to be defeating the point.

It is the gap between u18's and first team squad that is missing this season though. We have had a good proportion of the professional squad being in a development squad in recent years, playing in the PL Cup whilst being on loan as well. It really helped the likes of Ollie, JMT, Tommy Nics, Storey, MJ, Collins, Randall, Key, Kite and so on bridge the gap between youth team and first team. This season as I said, we hardly have any players in that gap, just Nelson now really after Pond and Jack Arthur left. With the amount of good prospects we have currently in the u18 age group, this needs to be re-established.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
No he isn't. And most of us are willing to listen to AA.
Hants you beat me to it…….and I totally agree with.

DPR1901

time will tell wether aimson makes a success of it, I know he’s got his work cut out getting the lads up for the next few games though
[/QUOTE]

They're professional footballers. How do you 'know' this?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Instead of loaning all these players out, wouldn't we benefit more by having our own side in the Peninsular/Western League or are we restricted by progression within the pyramid set up.
#BTeamBoycott

simcity

I think there are issues at the academy, one of my friend's son is currently there and they've told me that on numerous occasions they've arrived at training to have no coaches available to run the session.

And a coach I know who left the academy in the last 12 months said "I couldn't wait to get out of there". Take that as you want...

Grecianman135

That's a fair shout it works for Barca why not us;)

supernova

I agree with Andy, as well as results and style of play something feels different about the club. I don’t expect us to go down as we had such a strong start to the season, but I do expect us to be in the relegation zone from the point Caldwell took over. Club will have a decision to make in the summer, I’d personally rather Nicholson got the job
but a lot of people on here thought we could do better than Nicholson. Oh dear

supernova

The issue is not who was captain when Sweeney was out, but why Aimson was captain when both he and Sweeney started.
no one has any idea why the armband has been passed to Aimson. Sweeney might want to focus on his own game and finds the captain role a distraction. Easiest just to ask him when he’s getting a pasty in Clyst St Mary

Kingsman

As a City supporter for over 60 years I can remember us having a reserve team in the Western league. You could watch the first team at home one week and the reserves the next. Kept the fringe players fit and up to speed.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Don't bite Andy. Pmc is newbie who appears to have an agenda (I might be wrong but there seems to be a certain flow to his posts).
You've obviously seen both of their joining dates ! Wouldn't be the first time someone who we all know ;) ;) is able to set up multi accounts and argue with himself to make one seem legit !