• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How best to use the Cash?

Boyo

It is only the attendant infrastructure and staffing levels thaf are missing. In my view it would be a real shame if we didn't give it our best shot.
Hi Pete,

Do you know how many additional staff would be required? Long term I guess that's the real drain on cash resources, even if match funding is in place.

philexe

I concur with the 4g pitch at the Cat and Fiddle. Surely this would then reduce the hours the ground staff need to spend on the pitch? (Sorry Clive!) Not like the grafting in your day Tony. Soaking up the water with a bucket and sponge!

citizen

Do you really seriously think the club will be doing developments to the ground (Old Grandstand and away end) and developing the Cat and Fiddle at the same time?
I can`t see it . I know it would probably different funding streams and organizing ,but it seems a lot of upheaval at the same time.
I know the volunteers at the club have been good ,but i`m not sure they are that good!
UTC

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Replacement for Tom and a left back, please.

AlanDevlin

Do you really seriously think the club will be doing developments to the ground (Old Grandstand and away end) and developing the Cat and Fiddle at the same time?
I can`t see it . I know it would probably different funding streams and organizing ,but it seems a lot of upheaval at the same time.
I know the volunteers at the club have been good ,but i`m not sure they are that good!
UTC
The Club appear to have very little to do with the physical side of the ground redevelopment other than move out of the OG before it is demolished, and move into the new one when its done.

The project at C&F would be more likely to involve the Club - but the issue there is likely to be with the Hill family who I believe lease C&F to the Club - have no idea what the terms of the lease are, or how long its for.
Seeing how development has been allowed along that road in the last 30 years, and also the type of development, I dont believe an indoor soccer school would be seen to be out of keeping, and with good marketing could prove quite a good regional facility in a central location for the South West.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
If we got up to Cat 2 status the club could easily build a compelling sales pitch to families of young talented players from anywhere in the country.
As I understand it, only the Cat 1 Academies are allowed to trawl nationally, being able to offer full-time education and training to 'little jimmy' with the attendant facilities/staff (& costs !). Cat 2/3 Academies offer part-time coaching (& education) for U9 and upwards, so local lads only. As mentioned, Bristol City are now pushing hard for Cat 1 status and should corner the SW market in time, something to be mindful of.

Crewe can proudly sing 'They're nine of our own' or thereabouts, but youth development has been at the very core of that club for decades, yet there are already rumblings because of the drain on resources Cat 2 status requires. Their L1 playing budget is lower than some clubs in the Conference, and puts an enormous strain on the Academy to produce fresh talent. A pressure that our Academy doesn't have, or need.

Geography alone means our pool of talent will be a lot smaller than most, and realistically speaking a Matt Grimes comes along once in a blue moon. Average low spend for Cat 2 was £1,020,000 back in 2010/11, and I reckon accom/travel costs alone would push ours above that average. Yes, there are matched funds and grants available, but as Yeovil, Wycombe, Watford, Oldham and Hereford have discovered to their huge cost, youth development can cripple the unwary.

DanceMagnet

We were borrowing money from the PFA because we had temporary cash flow problems brought about by long term structural debt. That debt has been serviced by the recent windfall income. The PFA loan was serviced by the arrival of monies due from the Football League which are always paid in stages each year but not at the ideal times.

We are not a wealthy club (how many are?) and are unlikely ever to be so. However, neither is the wolf at the door and (despite the opinion of a small minority) we are generally able to pay our way, provided that profligacy is avoided (which it will be).
OK, so on that basis, the trust should now be able to stop its donation to the club as it is now able to generally pay its own way?

citizen

OK, so on that basis, the trust should now be able to stop its donation to the club as it is now able to generally pay its own way?
Perhaps the board will buy the Trust out ,we could have another pinky and perky in charge?

Wouldn't it be better if the Trust's contribution went directly to the Youth System if the club can pay its own bills hence helping with covering any additional costs with being a Cat 2 Academy with the matched funding i.e. £300k Trust donation becomes £600k with the matched donations.

On a side note the 90 minute rule has been abolished when the EPPP come into force meaning that in theory any club could sign any player from any area. Not as easy in practice but it is now possible..

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Get the bloody away end sorted. Will be good to hear the away fans for atmosphere.