• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Have Exeter City overtaken the Exeter Chiefs as the No1 Sports Team in Exeter?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
A quick Google suggests that the average senior player for Chiefs gets £120k a year.

I know that's not an exact indicator for the question but £2.5k a week is probably similar to a first team city player.

I think, as institutions, the two are not too dissimilar in size!
Bank of Mum & Dad top up the rest of their wages

simcity

A quick Google suggests that the average senior player for Chiefs gets £120k a year.

I know that's not an exact indicator for the question but £2.5k a week is probably similar to a first team city player.

I think, as institutions, the two are not too dissimilar in size!
Henry Slade & Jonny Gray are reportedly on £400k+ a year in basic salary so upwards of £8k a week and considerably more than anyone at our club!

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Henry Slade & Jonny Gray are reportedly on £400k+ a year in basic salary so upwards of £8k a week and considerably more than anyone at our club!
Taggy is on more than that...🎣

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
They would probably be the top two earners in the Chiefs squad.

Radio Free Skaro

I don't think so. A few years ago the chiefs were the best team in Europe.
I don't think that counts for anything, it's history. Its what happenning now that is important ,extreme example Ipswich once won the UEFA cup , Newcastle havent but very few would argue that Ipswich are the bigger team!

I just wondered that there might be a scenario with rugby gernerally losing popularlity, Chiefs losing key players & consequently perhaps struggling in mid table or lower . In this case the chiefs perhaps getting 6-7 k people in SP per game and if City have an oustanding season SJP could average 7-8k attendences that for my money would make the Grecians the biggest club in the City !

Trampus

Rugby club is supported from across the county and all the way up to Bristol. Rugby fans are not the same. Do they even represent Exeter? Questionable.

Never watched the Chiefs but I did watch Exeter Rugby Club once down at their old ground with about 1,000 others. Tinpot club at heart. Awful sport also.
You watched Exeter Football Club not Rugby Club strange though that sounds.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
How do you measure the 'No 1 Sports Team' - average attendances, annual turnover or the number of replica shirts worn in the city centre ? I follow both codes and enjoy sporting success achieved by any team representing my home city ! Call it civic pride.

CityTillIDie

I’ve seen a whole lot more city shirts and merch being worn around town than chiefs gear… which was never the case before from what I can remember!

Radio Free Skaro

You watched Exeter Football Club not Rugby Club strange though that sounds.
So back in those days when Flack & Danny Bailey et al would have strutted their stuff at The Park in front of 2500 spectatators Exeter City were unquestionably the bigger club

Radio Free Skaro

I’ve seen a whole lot more city shirts and merch being worn around town than chiefs gear… which was never the case before from what I can remember!
Exactly ! the tide is turning!