• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Have Exeter City overtaken the Exeter Chiefs as the No1 Sports Team in Exeter?

Radio Free Skaro

With our scheduled bumper attenandence against Reading on Saturday and the Chiefs recent slump and departures this got me thinking ...does this mean that Exeter City have surpassed our egg-chasing chums ?

If so what does mean for Exeter City in terms of sponsorship, revenue and kudos?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
With our scheduled bumper attenandence against Reading on Saturday and the Chiefs recent slump and departures this got me thinking ...does this mean that Exeter City have surpassed our egg-chasing chums ?

If so what does mean for Exeter City in terms of sponsorship, revenue and kudos?
Was there ever any doubt?

Radio Free Skaro

Was there ever any doubt?
Yes

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I did try watching it once, too stop start for me. I couldn't get into it. Football will always be number one for me.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I did try watching it once, too stop start for me. I couldn't get into it. Football will always be number one for me.
I went once because I had a free hospitality ticket.

1- I don't like the over friendly atmosphere. Applauding the opposition when they score is odd to me. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see hooliganism but you can't beat a bit of a tribal atmosphere
2- It's expensive. Think I bought a beer and a burger at half time and I didn't get much change out of £20.
3- The game is slow, it's so stop start and the most exciting thing that can happen is someone putting a ball down behind a line.
4- I don't get it. You look across the pitch, there is a pile of about 10 blokes, the ref blows his whistle and you have no idea why.

simcity

Not a chance.

Chiefs are still going to be playing on TV most weekends and are going to be playing in Europe as well so sponsors are more likely to go there over us as their brands will be given a lot more exposure than being on Sky a couple times a season on Tuesday evenings.

If City were in the Championship then that would be more of an even comparison but for now we're still second best!

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
No. Hate rugby and couldn't give a toss about the Chiefs but they are among the best in the country while we are not in the top 50 in our sport, so it's a no-brainer isn't it? However, this is a golden age for us in terms of form and popularity and it's very exciting. The appeal of the club to youngsters in the city seems to have risen dramatically.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Rugby club is supported from across the county and all the way up to Bristol. Rugby fans are not the same. Do they even represent Exeter? Questionable.

Never watched the Chiefs but I did watch Exeter Rugby Club once down at their old ground with about 1,000 others. Tinpot club at heart. Awful sport also.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
No. Hate rugby and couldn't give a toss about the Chiefs but they are among the best in the country while we are not in the top 50 in our sport, so it's a no-brainer isn't it? However, this is a golden age for us in terms of form and popularity and it's very exciting. The appeal of the club to youngsters in the city seems to have risen dramatically.
I do agree, but surely it's easier to get higher up the Rugby pyramid than it is in football due to there being less competition and less money in the sport? Might be way off here.

Gilbert

Not really my game... I'm football through and through (and some cricket in the Summer). Never been to see the Chiefs but unlike many have no animosity toward them, quite the opposite. In fact I have at times been very proud that a club representing Exeter has attained the heights of it's sport. Let football fans follow City and rugby fans follow the Chiefs, I don't see the two clubs as being in direct competition. If we do well, the crowds will come - imho it wasn't the Chiefs that were taking people away, it was us that was losing them. The bigger crowd attended Sandy Park to witness a successful rugby club, and now the crowds are coming back to SJP because of the perceived success of the football club (and long may it continue). No idea which is the larger club, but in its field (if you'll pardon the pun), the Chiefs are way ahead of City. Let's debate it again if ever we become European Champions... please.