• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Greatest ever XI

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Johnny Newman and Jim McNichol perhaps, or even Noel 'the eyes' Blake.

For a nomination to the 'greatest XI' is there a limit on how many games they played for us or is it a case of just donning the shirt?

Last edited:

ryancooper327

Johnny Newman and Jim McNichol perhaps, or even Noel 'the eyes' Blake.

For a nomination to the 'greatest XI' is there a limit on how many games they played for us or is it a case of just donning the shirt?
I'd say donning the shirt! It could be goal scoring, goal creation, tackles, clean sheets, lots of appearances or being a big character in the team/fan favourite. No real stipulations!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
For CBs, I think 6 have been suggested so far...

M Taylor
R Edwards
S Taylor
J Giles
K Harvey
N Marker

Do we include JMT?

Any more suggestions? / "Why are you including *player*?"
Going back a bit early 50s Ray Goddard was a no nonsense No 5 and late 50s Ken Oliver a rather more cultured player.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Kevin Bond?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd like to sort by position now, will run my own poll possibly.

So looking so far at goalkeepers, we have had

C Pym
P Jones
K Miller
L Bond
B Olejnik

All suggested I think. Any other ideas? I would like to have 4 players for each position of a 442.
I like the idea of a bigger selection to start from so would like add into the mix:

Bert Hoyle signed from Wolves late 40s good keeper somewhat of an eccentric character and very popular with the fans.

George Hunter signed from Celtic mid 50s small in stature but one of the bravest keepers I have ever seen playing for the City and those were in the days long before keepers were given the protective status they enjoy to day.

As we are talking about the greatest then you cannot leave out the original Pym...Dick Pym.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Right backs... So far I've only seen Hiley and Duffy suggested. Anyone else to fill the 2 gaps for the future poll?
Probably we have more of left backs but for me as a No 2 late 50s Theo Foley a really classy fullback.

How can anybody leave out early 60s Cec Smyth.

budegrecian

Kevin Bond?
Behave. ;) But he did have that one outstanding game at Easter, sweeping up everything the Greens threw at us.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Van Heusden was probobly the most complete keeper I can remember at City.
Including complete c@ck ups..:D

Going back a bit but John Shaw always did a decent job for the Grecians...Not sure if he would make a greatest XI,but really we have not had a outstanding keeper in my time of watching,Miller was good,but no better than Pym imo.Len Bond would get my vote.

PS. Hamer was excellent but was only on loan.

ryancooper327

I have a few CBs to look into and compile a shortlist. Now then, LBs...

So far I have:

G Friend
D Moxey
P Hatch
G Ley

Feel free to add more names and debate!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Richard Dryden left back for our championship year