• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Greatest ever XI

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Right backs... So far I've only seen Hiley and Duffy suggested. Anyone else to fill the 2 gaps for the future poll?
Ribeiro was decent, not Having Hiley std but a very good player on his day

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Right backs... So far I've only seen Hiley and Duffy suggested. Anyone else to fill the 2 gaps for the future poll?
Jack Stacey wasn't the finished article when he was with us but will surely go on to have an outstanding career. Steve Tully wasn't as talented as Stacey or Hiley but made the absolute most of his ability and played a full part in two promotions.

Colesman Ballz

Cec Smyth was an outstanding right back, and a vital part of our first ever promotion team. His trademark was showing the opponent the outside, before executing a flawless slide tackle. He turned into an "art form".

Grecian2K

If it's four players for each position shouldn't the thread be entitled "Greatest ever XXXXIV"? Although XLIV could also be acceptable. ;)

Last edited:

ryancooper327

If it's four players for each position shouldn't the thread be entitled "Greatest ever XXXXIV"? Although XLIV could also be acceptable. ;)
I will run a poll on each 4 to whittle down to 1!

ryancooper327

Cec Smyth was an outstanding right back, and a vital part of our first ever promotion team. His trademark was showing the opponent the outside, before executing a flawless slide tackle. He turned into an "art form".
I did have him as a centre back. A 'traditional' full back could be either. I'll move him to RB though to facilitate more CBs.

I think I'll go for Hiley, Duffy, Tully, Smyth.

Happy to take further ideas/suggestions before I move onto CBs tomorrow

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
So as there are two centre backs you will be looking for eight nominations tomorrow?

I would have Riberio over Duffy

ryancooper327

So as there are two centre backs you will be looking for eight nominations tomorrow?

I would have Riberio over Duffy
Yes, we can be anal and have LCB and RCB but I don't want to be. I have a list of 8 CBs to suggest tomorrow.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I did have him as a centre back. A 'traditional' full back could be either. I'll move him to RB though to facilitate more CBs.

I think I'll go for Hiley, Duffy, Tully, Smyth.

Happy to take further ideas/suggestions before I move onto CBs tomorrow
Surely we can do better than Duffy. Admittedly, once Hiley left we weren't exactly overwhelmed with talented right-backs for the rest of the 1990's. And then this century we have had some good ones but, apart from Tully, none of the likes of Stacey, Woodards or Ribeiro played enough for City to deserve a place in a greatest-ever eleven. (I wonder how Sweeney will be viewed in years to come.)

ryancooper327

For CBs, I think 6 have been suggested so far...

M Taylor
R Edwards
S Taylor
J Giles
K Harvey
N Marker

Do we include JMT?

Any more suggestions? / "Why are you including *player*?"