• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Greatest ever XI

jrg333

If particulars can't take opinions then they are probably watching the wrong game
It's not that I 'can't take' your opinion (nice attempt at implying that people are too fragile to stand your opinions by the way); just that it has no basis in reality mate.

they are probably watching the wrong game
Only person watching the wrong game is the one foolish enough to call Stockley a 'lazy ****'...

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
What does he mean by "can't take his opinion". ? It doesn't actually have any meaning, does it? Or it's not logical. Is he saying we are flaky because we don't agree with him? Makes no sense. Or is he saying we're flaky because we're not arguing with him...cos we are? I don't get the meaning

Last edited:

LeedsGrecian

It's not that I 'can't take' your opinion (nice attempt at implying that people are too fragile to stand your opinions by the way); just that it has no basis in reality mate.

Only person watching the wrong game is the one foolish enough to call Stockley a 'lazy ****'...
I'm sure I can come back to my original question posed to you...

Did you see every single one of Stockleys league and cup games for City to justify your point that my point has no basis?

I'm sure this shouldn't be a problem for you...

ryancooper327

I'd like to sort by position now, will run my own poll possibly.

So looking so far at goalkeepers, we have had

C Pym
P Jones
K Miller
L Bond
B Olejnik

All suggested I think. Any other ideas? I would like to have 4 players for each position of a 442.

Kingsman

As an old timer, 60+ years, I have a few more mto choose from, so here goes:
Kevin Miller
Scott Hiley
George Ley
Kieth Harvey
Rob Edwards

Clive Whitehead
Lammie Robertson

Nelson Stiffle
Dermot Curtis
Alan Banks
Gordon Dale

Subs
Peter Shearing
Ces Smyth
Shaun Taylor
David Pleat
Tony Kellow

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

C Pym
P Jones
K Miller
L Bond
B Olejnik

All suggested I think. Any other ideas? I would like to have 4 players for each position of a 442.
I think Miller and Pym are comfortably the best two keepers I have seen in the last 30 years while older fans seem to consistently rate Len Bond very highly. Did Dick Pym play enough games to qualify for a greatest ever eleven?

Grecian2K

Did Dick Pym play enough games to qualify for a greatest ever eleven?
He most CERTAINLY did!! (Although a lot of the 'stats' sites seem to conveniently ignore that, until 1920, the old "Southern League" was the equivalent of the later Division 3 South .

He did play for ECFC from 1912 and managed to appear in 186 consecutive games for the club in a career (tragically interrupted - in every sense) by WW1. He also "played Brazil".

After that he also played for Bolton at the highest level, for another decade. Plus three caps for his country's well.

So, in the pantheon of ECFC glovesman over the entire history of our club, surely there is no contest. I suspect even dear old Pete might approve - after all he was there to see his debut! ;)

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He most CERTAINLY did!! (Although a lot of the 'stats' sites seem to conveniently ignore that, until 1920, the old "Southern League" was the equivalent of the later Division 3 South .

He did play for ECFC from 1912 and managed to appear in 186 consecutive games for the club in a career (tragically interrupted - in every sense) by WW1. He also "played Brazil".

After that he also played for Bolton at the highest level, for another decade. Plus three caps for his country's well.

So, in the pantheon of ECFC glovesman over the entire history of our club, surely there is no contest. I suspect even dear old Pete might approve - after all he was there to see his debut! ;)
I stand well and truly corrected. Serves me right for relying on Wikipedia not the Grecian Archive!

ryancooper327

Right backs... So far I've only seen Hiley and Duffy suggested. Anyone else to fill the 2 gaps for the future poll?

STURTZ

C Pym
P Jones
K Miller
L Bond
B Olejnik

Van Heusden was probobly the most complete keeper I can remember at City.