• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Greatest ever XI

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I liked Adrian and remember that miss very well. We were kicking towards the Big Bank and the pitch was a muddy quagmire.

Picking up the ball unmarked just inside the Brighton half he ran on with it took it around their keeper then with no Brighton player anywhere near and a totally open goal in front of him, with all the City supporters on their feet ready to celebrate a goal fully expecting to see him plant the ball into the middle net, he somehow managed to send it a couple of feet past the right hand side post.
That's what I remember, SB, except I thought it was an Easter day and the pitch was firm.

Colesman Ballz

That's what I remember, SB, except I thought it was an Easter day and the pitch was firm.
No it was the second part of a Christmas double header with Brighton. We had won 2-1 at Brighton on Boxing Day 1963, with Thorne's first City goal and another from Banks. This match was played at SJP two days later on the 28th in front of 9873 spectators. It was the right hand post, from the keeper's perspective (or Left from the field of play). Oh how the crowd groaned !

IndoMike

No it was the second part of a Christmas double header with Brighton. We had won 2-1 at Brighton on Boxing Day 1963, with Thorne's first City goal and another from Banks. This match was played at SJP two days later on the 28th in front of 9873 spectators. It was the right hand post, from the keeper's perspective (or Left from the field of play). Oh how the crowd groaned !
0-0 right?

Colesman Ballz

0-0 right?
Indeed it was.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
CB interesting the way we both remember this. I honestly would have put my mortgage (if I still had one) that he picked the ball up in a fairly central position and shot past the right hand post looking from the OG where I was sat.....I wonder if he is still around to ask him.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

CB interesting the way we both remember this. I honestly would have put my mortgage (if I still had one) that he picked the ball up in a fairly central position and shot past the right hand post looking from the OG where I was sat.....I wonder if he is still around to ask him.
My view was from the home dug out (which was my station as a ball boy) so very similar to yours. My recollection is that he took it past the keeper to the left, before inexplicably slicing the ball wide, but given that it was getting on towards sixty years ago maybe there is some confusion ! One thing I am sure that we can agree on, is that it was an unholy miss !

If Adrian is still alive he will be 81 now, however it might be something that he would prefer to forget ! ;)

IndoMike

My view was from the home dug out (which was my station as a ball boy) so very similar to yours. My recollection is that he took it past the keeper to the left, before inexplicably slicing the ball wide, but given that it was getting on towards sixty years ago maybe there is some confusion ! One thing I am sure that we can agree on, is that it was an unholy miss !

If Adrian is still alive he will be 81 now, however it might be something that he would prefer to forget ! ;)
He broke free unmarked from the halfway line and ran towards the big bank goal Keeper came out maybe as far as the penalty area line,Thorney pushed the ball to the left of the keeper (to the keeper's right), but instead of slightly angling the ball back into an empty goal he couldn't get his foot around it and missed (to the keeper's right,) the keeper's right hand post.

crocks

Some in your list aren't really centre forwards, but "inside" forwards. So I think we should include Steve Neville, and out of respect for his contribution to promotion Richard Young.
Apologies if this has already been reported, I couldn’t find it anywhere, but I heard today that a few years ago, Richard Young committed suicide....

Rog H K

Kellow is there day in day out for me. Scotty Hiley would get in my XI. Will have to think. Some good players over years in different era's but to be great is a different class.

ryancooper327

To revive this for not much reason...

Saw a tweet earlier asking for your best or favourite XI based on players wearing 1-11. Also, you can't choose two of the same number for example Stockley and Wheeler (11).

I was just going from my lifetime of watching city and got this.

1Pym
2Tully
3Friend
4Noble
5TAH
6Taylor
7Harley
8Law
9Stanno
10Holmes
11Stockley

2-5-6-3
10-4-8-7
11-9

https://www.transfermarkt.com/exeter-city/rueckennummern/verein/6699 - this page may help recalling shirt no's.