• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Greatest ever XI

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I only ever recall Graham Rees playing at inside forward. As you say RW, it was definitely his prefered position.

Temporarily Exiled

Straight from the horse's mouth: "Gordan Kaile was a magnificent left winger, and he took my shirt forcing me to convert to an inside forward."

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/i-was-a-part-time-accountant-who-gave-nobby-stiles-a-bigger-chasing-than-the-famous-ferenc-puskas-had-done-for-real-madrid/

Ian Tarr

Straight from the horse's mouth: "Gordan Kaile was a magnificent left winger, and he took my shirt forcing me to convert to an inside forward."

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/i-was-a-part-time-accountant-who-gave-nobby-stiles-a-bigger-chasing-than-the-famous-ferenc-puskas-had-done-for-real-madrid/
I think Graham is getting his Kailes and Dales mixed up!

Both were left wingers, but Kaile played just six league games in 1954, none of them in the same team as Rees, who had only weeks before made his debut.

Dale signed in 1957, and -- as mentioned earlier in the thread -- was a supremely skilful left winger, arguably the most entertaining player I've seen in 67 years of watching City. Think Stanley Matthews, only on the left instead of the right, and you'll get a feel for the impact he made. By the time he had arrived, Rees had already made 55 league appearances for City, the vast majority of them on the left wing. Dale made the number 11 shirt his own, and when Nelson Stiffle arrived later that season to fill the #7 shirt (of course shirt numbers were significant in those days!), Rees became a regular at #8.

(stats, of course, from "Exeter City A Complete Record 1904-1990" by Golesworthy, Dykes and Wilson)

IndoMike

Sorry Mike you're largely wrong. Graham was originally signed as a winger from Pontypridd youth club but was converted to an inside forward where he scored the majority of his goals. I actually played with Graham several times in the reserves when he was coming back from injury. He had the option to play where he wanted but chose to play at inside right when I played right wing.
In the promotion season Derek Grace was inside left, Dermot was CF and Banksy was inside right.But in his years before that you are probably correct. In the promotion season I never saw him play inside forward.

ryancooper327

I think Graham is getting his Kailes and Dales mixed up!

Both were left wingers, but Kaile played just six league games in 1954, none of them in the same team as Rees, who had only weeks before made his debut.

Dale signed in 1957, and -- as mentioned earlier in the thread -- was a supremely skilful left winger, arguably the most entertaining player I've seen in 67 years of watching City. Think Stanley Matthews, only on the left instead of the right, and you'll get a feel for the impact he made. By the time he had arrived, Rees had already made 55 league appearances for City, the vast majority of them on the left wing. Dale made the number 11 shirt his own, and when Nelson Stiffle arrived later that season to fill the #7 shirt (of course shirt numbers were significant in those days!), Rees became a regular at #8.

(stats, of course, from "Exeter City A Complete Record 1904-1990" by Golesworthy, Dykes and Wilson)
Firstly - thanks for the reference - looking for a copy of that book now. Secondly, I really wish shirt numbering was 1-11 again. I follow Sparta Rotterdam in Holland who play with 1-11 and players play for the positions. From a recent interview "The decision not to play with permanent numbers was made by the club’s management in 2010. The reason for this was that Sparta is a really traditional club, that likes to keep in touch with their and football’s history in some ways."

Temporarily Exiled

Firstly - thanks for the reference - looking for a copy of that book now. Secondly, I really wish shirt numbering was 1-11 again. I follow Sparta Rotterdam in Holland who play with 1-11 and players play for the positions. From a recent interview "The decision not to play with permanent numbers was made by the club’s management in 2010. The reason for this was that Sparta is a really traditional club, that likes to keep in touch with their and football’s history in some ways."

I don't think the EFL would allow that, unfortunately. Commercial managers of clubs and players' agents would also go spare, as would some superstitious players.

andrew p long

I really dislike the 1-11 numbering now. That is what operates in Conference North which I have watched a lot. It means you often can’t work out who is playing (even with a programme and a tannoy announcement) Much easier where players have individual numbers.

chunkymorrinmunter

In the promotion season Derek Grace was inside left, Dermot was CF and Banksy was inside right.But in his years before that you are probably correct. In the promotion season I never saw him play inside forward.
with Adrian Thorne on the left wing

IndoMike

with Adrian Thorne on the left wing
That's right. Good player, but missed a sitter in a big game against Brighton. How times have changed

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's right. Good player, but missed a sitter in a big game against Brighton. How times have changed
I liked Adrian and remember that miss very well. We were kicking towards the Big Bank and the pitch was a muddy quagmire.

Picking up the ball unmarked just inside the Brighton half he ran on with it took it around their keeper then with no Brighton player anywhere near and a totally open goal in front of him, with all the City supporters on their feet ready to celebrate a goal fully expecting to see him plant the ball into the middle net, he somehow managed to send it a couple of feet past the right hand side post.

Last edited: